Hunter 🌥

You felt a shift in the bed and your pillow moved as you tried to get off to sleep. "What are you doing?" You tiredly mumbled to your husband as he gently moved away from the position, you'd been cuddling in. Pregnancy had been kicking your ass and as wonderfully attentive as he'd continually been, you blamed him a little. You'd been actively trying for it and had a wonderful home together. You'd felt ready to be a mother but carrying the baby of a man designed to be a deadly soldier was something you hadn't thought through. His gentleness with you became even more obviously a learned trait as his spawn refused to let you eat when you learnt of its existence and had been trying to kick its way out as soon as it had the legs to do so.

"Ad'ika ven tettar." He'd subconsciously used mando'a. As much as you loved hearing him speak it, it took your foggy brain a minute to translate. "Kiddo's not kicking yet." You sighed at him, assuming he'd started to, once again, concentrate too much on the inaudible noises the tiny swishes of amniotic fluid made. "Future tense, mesh'la." He finally got to the part where he moved you so that your back faced him rather than your front being pressed into his side. Your pillow had been his chest until you had to use a 'real' one. The cotton was nowhere near as comfy as his skin. He slotted himself against your back and his hand instantly went to your swollen belly. "I wanna hold both of my girls." He drawled out whilst peppering small kisses across your exposed shoulder. He was convinced that you'd end up with a girl, mainly from hope over any kind of intuition. He'd told you how he wished every child you had together would be like you. It was so that when you were both dead, the galaxy could still appreciate everything about you that he loved.

As much as his hand was there because it somehow got the baby to not kick, and you appreciated not being baby's first practise doll, it was also strangely comforting to feel his warm hand against the skin that protected your child from the outside world. You loved Hunter's warmth, but you got more from his chest pressing into your back and even the breath on the back of your neck from Hunter's not so subtle attempt to swim in your scent. You loved his hand resting on your stomach most of all because it was like a promise. His promise to do anything to keep his baby safe and to protect his new little family. The idea that he'd do so much for the family you were starting together made you start to cry a little. "Hey, what's that pretty little head thinking?" He said lowly as he propped himself up on his arm and left a chaste kiss against your cheek. You turned your head to look up at him and found nothing but agape and concern in his eyes. The knowledge of his devotion made your lips tremble a little before you spoke. "You're going to be the best daddy ever." The corners of his mouth rose, and a warm smile came to his face as any evidence of his worry dissipated. He softly kissed the tip of your nose and then pulled away a little, keeping his face still relatively close to yours. "And you'll be the best mommy." He moved away a little and kissed your shoulder while looking into your eyes that struggled to stay open. "Now sleep, ner cyare." You nodded a little and let out a little noise in agreement as you turned to face away again.

You felt him slot against your back perfectly and the dark curtain of sleep enveloped you. The last thing you heard was, "You too ad'ika." His whisper was accompanied by his thumb slowly stroking the skin next to where his hand rested. He held you both firmly as you fell asleep.