Hunter ⛈

He should've been at home. He should've been with you. He should've kept you safe. Instead of being with you, he'd accepted a job transporting nerf. You were a month away from your due date but something had felt odd before he'd left. He wished more than anything that he could go back and make himself stay with you.

Instead, you'd been alone when you went into labour. You were alone when the undiagnosed pre-eclampsia started to cause a seizure. You were alone when you hit your head. You were alone when the traumatic brain bleed killed you. Though, you weren't truly alone. Your child was still there with you as he would be for the rest of time.

Hunter came home, only hours after you'd died. He held your cooling, lifeless corpse and wept. He lost his soulmate and his son. He knew they'd both be alive if he'd just stayed home. The beautiful woman he'd fallen so madly in love with during the war and the family they were about to start together; both lost and he had nobody to blame but himself.

The corpse looked like you but in a way it didn't. Hunter couldn't see the look in your eyes that you had when you'd come up with a clever quip. He couldn't feel your heart and the way it still sped up a little in anticipation of being held by him. He couldn't hear you fidgeting when you were still for more than a couple of minutes. You truly were gone.

Hunter had no idea how he'd go on without you, so he decided not to. The three of you were buried together. A family that never had a chance, even in a galaxy finally at peace.