Chapter 20: LeAnna

I will call upon Your name. Keep my eyes above the waves. 

My soul will rest in Your embrace. For I am Yours. And You are mine.

-Oceans (Where Feet May Fail), Hillsong UNITED

My parents will kill me if I can't find her.

"Rita?" I yell, sticking my head in the bathroom. The walls are a baby blue. I would be excited that the bathroom isn't a boring color if I wasn't so panicked. "Rita?" Nothing. She's nowhere to be found. Did she leave with Liora? Where the heck is she? I'm starting to panic.

I send off a quick text to Liora asking if she knows where Rita is when I walk back out into the coffee shop. Her reply is almost immediate.

No, why would I?

I text back. Because you were at Starbucks with her? I glance up. A lady is staring at me. I suppose I look a bit weird, just standing in the middle of a Starbucks. I don't care right now. I'm sure I'll overthink it later, but I don't have time to right now.

I can see the little dots spinning. When?

I groan. Liora's amazing, but she can be so scatterbrained sometimes. Just today. Like an hour ago.

I am waiting for Liora's reply. I can practically see her trying to figure out what's going on. I haven't seen Rita since Sunday. What's going on?

Oh no. She said she was meeting you here. Wasn't she?

No, Liora replies. Do you need my help? I can come.

I slide my phone into my pocket, knowing that Liora's going to kill me later. "Excuse me?" I ask the bartender.

"Yeah?" he asks, turning around.

"Have you seen a teen girl?" I ask. "Dark hair, dark eyes, Latina, about 5'2?"

The man purses his lips. "Can't say that I have."

"I did," the girl beside him says. "She said she was here for a friend. Then she left with a man. He was... tall? Blonde? Pretty muscular too."

I bite my lower lip. Just great. "Thank you," I say. No, I text Liora. Then I call my parents.

"Hey, Liora," Dad says, picking up. "Dinner's almost ready. Are you and Rita-"

"Dad, I don't know where she is," I say. "She's not here. One of the bartenders said she left with someone. A guy."

I can hear Dad cover the speaker as he tells Mom. "Okay, Baby," Dad says. "Stay calm. Mom's going to call the police. Are you okay to drive home or do I need to come to pick you up?"

"I think I'm okay," I say.

"Okay," Dad says. "You checked everywhere? The bathrooms?"

"Yes," I say. "She's not here."

"Okay," Dad says. "Come home."

Like I'm going to go somewhere else while my sister is missing, I think as I hang up and hop into my car. I turn the ignition on, taking a deep breath.

I glance at my texts.

LeAnna? Hello? Please answer! Is Rita okay? What's going on? Text me back! Please! I need to know!

Liora. She's so invested in Rita. I don't understand why, but she is. I take a deep breath and call her. I hear the click as the call connects to my car's Bluetooth.

"LeAnna?" Liora's voice echoes in my ear. "LeAnna, what's going on? Where's Rita? Is she okay?"

"I don't know," I say quietly. "She's gone. I don't-"