A Problem (or two) with Portraits

'Oh, I like what you've done in here,' said Luna, when we stepped into the hallway of Grimmauld Place. 'What else have you done?'

We were heavily laden with bags when we returned from shopping. I had returned with my two pairs of dress trousers, two shirts, and my black cummerbund and bowtie. Plus, my new dress boots and another, more casual pair in tan, and some smart jeans and a couple of shirts that Mr Cargador had recommended for me to wear with a jacket. I'd also been tempted into having a navy suit made too. Muggle style. It would be delivered with my dress robes and I was looking forward to wearing it next time I had to appear before the Wizengamot. To add to the load, I had two carriers, one containing a ridiculous Little Owl called Mouse, the other had two very sweet fluffy grey kittens that I'd named Willow and Ziggy and who were mewing in desperation to be set free. I thought them most appropriate after Walburga had said I mustn't wear anything that would panic the cat. Plus, I couldn't resist homing them as soon as I'd seen them.

'I've finished the entire basement, this, my Snug and my bedroom. I've done bits in the sitting room and I've started on the library too—'

'Who's this?' Walburga called immediately.

We went up to greet her.

'I'm Luna Lovegood, Mrs Black,' said Luna with a surprising small curtsy. 'Oh, hello Professor Lupin, Sirius—'

'Hmmm, the Lovegoods...' Walburga said with narrowed eyes. 'Purebloods... related to the Malfoys but the Malfoys won't admit it because, rumour is, the family's a bit peculiar—'

'Don't be rude, Walburga,' I admonished. 'Luna is a very good friend of mine. Also, she's part-Fae, though that's irrelevant.'

'Did I say you could address me by my first name?'

'Did I say you could insult my friends?' I retorted. 'I rather think I specified that you shouldn't. If it happens again I'll cast a permanent Langlock on you.'

She pursed her lips and ignored me. 'I suppose a Lovegood would do for the Great Harry Potter as much as any family. It's a shame Lucius and Narcissa didn't have a daughter, that would have been a very advantageous match to make. Especially considering what you've been saying about the family since the war. A neat way of tidying up the Black, Malfoy, and Potter families together.'

I frowned heavily. 'Luna and I aren't dating. And I don't hold any truck with this bloody arranged marriage business.'

'They're not arranged marriages,' Walburga said haughtily, 'they're advantageous alliances between the old families.'

'It sounds far too incestuous to me. Anyway, I thought you burnt Dorea Black off the tapestry for marrying Charlus Potter.' I nodded to the portrait of Dorea and she gave me a cheery wave back. She was more Molly Weasley than Walburga Black in every aspect apart from the hereditary black hair.

'Situations change, Mr Potter. Sometimes one must move with times for the good of the name.'

I snorted dismissively.

'Anyway,' Luna said, linking arms with me. 'Lucy and Cissa didn't have a girl, so that only leaves Draco for Harry to marry.'

'Luna!' I exclaimed, ignoring the increased thumping of my heart.

'He'd make a very good husband for you, Harry. Not just the advantageous allegiance bit but you and he would be very well suited. You understand what each other has been through.'

'I don't think Draco would agree with that,' I grumbled, not liking the direction this conversation was taking, at all. 'Especially considering we spent the first six years of school hating each other and I nearly killed him.'