Pretty Boy To The Rescue

It was around 2AM when I woke up still hungover. I couldn't really fall asleep. I wanted to go home and crawl into my parent's bed. Even though I had to hide my relationshi from my parents, every time Ethan and I had a fight, I used t snuggle with my mum and cry. She'd make me cocoa thinking that I was upset with on of my friends. It was almost our monthly ritual with us. I began scrolling though some pictures on instagram hoping that I'd fall asleep but I continued will around 6AM when I got out of bed and sneaked out of Emma's house. 

"Where have you been, young lady?" My mom demanded as I closed the door behind me. "You had me worried sick!" I could tell that she was upset.

"I was at Em's place, I decided to stay at her place. I sent you a text." I said as I put my shoes down.

"A text is not enough. I called you at least 10 times. You should've answered your phone. I ended up calling Thayer and he told me he dropped you off at Emma's house."

"I'm sorry mom. I was pretty out of it when you called and I just woke up."

"It's okay now. Just understand that when I call you I expect a reply from you."

"I get it." I stopped off to my room because I wasn't exactly in the mood for my mother's protective instincts to kick in. I opened my door to see Sean perched on my bed waiting for me. He was my older step-brother. When my mom married Phil he was just three and when Sean was five I came along.

"Why didn't you come home last night? Were you with him?" He looked like he was ready to punch Ethan's face if I had spent the night with him. Sean was protective. When Ethan cheated on me the first time, he threatened to disfigure his face if ever even looked at me again.

"No I spent the night at Emma's. He broke up with me and I got drunk so I stayed there." I said as I searched for my blue shorts.

"You got drunk? I've told you a million times. Drinking doesn't solve anything." Sean started lecturing me about drinking even though he wasn't really one to talk.

"Will you please not lecture me? I had a lapse of judgement. I was hurting because of him and I resorted to drinking. I know the repercussions." I was getting annoyed with him judging me like he's  never made a mistake. "And thanks so much for your support. I'm doing just fine after the guy I've been with for 2 years dumps me." I grabbed my shorts and a lose white top and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind me. The hot shower felt extremely refreshing after my night. I went to my room and dried off my hair before twisting it into a braid and then headed downstairs to search for my trainers. I needed to clear my mind and a run with Thayer was the only way to do it.

 Is your heart singing out of tune? Are your eyes still singing the blues

Dirty records from another time. Some blood stains on your shoes.

 "Hello?" I answered

"Hey! Are you ready for our run?" Thayer said on the other end. "I'm almost at your place."

"I'll be out in 5. Just putting my shoes on. See Ya." I then hung up.

"Hey Mom. I'm just going out for a run with Thayer. Maybe grab some starbucks after. I'll see you in a bit." I ran over to my mom and kissed her on the cheek then bolted for the door.

Thayer's P.O.V

I waited outside Serena's house till she came outside.

"Hey! Ready to go?" I asked as she shut the door behind her.

This was one of our rituals. Anytime something happened we'd go for a run that ultimately turned in to us walking in the park while Ser went on and on about Ethan. I honestly didn't understand her fascination with him. He wasn't due for the boyfriend of the year award or anything. 

"So this morning I tell Sean that Ethan and I broke up and he just started condemning me for drinking. I dind't need that from him after last night you know?" Serena shook her head as she spoke.

"He's a concerned brother. That's all. He's looking out for you." I said trying to console her.

"I know, I know. I'm still pretty upset about this though. He just dumped me. It's like those 2 years meant nothing to him." She let out a tear as we spoke.

"Come on. Don't cry over that jerk."

"I wasted 2 years thinking he'd be the one."

"You'll find someone better. I know you will."

She gave me a mini hug as I said that.. "I hope you're right about that." 

Suddenly someone tapped Serena's shoulder. Who else but none other than Ethan himself.

"Ethan, What're you doing here?" She actually looked concerned.

"I'm leaving tomorrow and I need you tonight. Just one night together" He snarled. He stunk of beer at 10AM.

"Who do you think I am? Some whore who'll drop everything for you? No I'm done this time. Done for good." Serena and I started to walk away but he grabbed her hand from behind and tugged.

Serena's P.O.V

"You can't just walk away from me." Ethan tugged on my wrist. He was holding on too tight. My wrist began to hurt.

"Let go, you're hurting me." I said weakly.

He just pulled me closer.

"Let go of her now!" Thayer demanded. His fists were clenched to his sides, I could see the anger in his face.

"Oh so now the pretty boy is here to save you. You've always had a thing for this slut." Ethan let my hand go but then stepped closer to Thayer tauntingly.

"Thayer it's not worth it. Let's go." I whispered.

"Don't you dare call her that you asshole." Thayer punched Ethan and he fell to the ground while Thayer continued punching his face in.

"Thayer! Stop!" I yelled.

Ethan punched Thayer and his nose started to bleed.

"You better get used to that pain. It's how it's going to feel when she picks someone else over you again." Ethan got up and walked away, staggering with every step.

"Oh my god! I am so sorry about him. I need to get you some ice." I was literally crying. I felt so bad about what had just happened all because of me.

"It's okay Serena. He deserved what he got." Thayer replied as he sat down and I brought ice.

"Yeah, but you didn't. You've always been so sweet and nice to me. See where that got you? I'm a screw-up. I don't deserve someone like you." I sobbed.

"Hey! Hey! What are you rambling about?" He put the ice down and wiped my tears with his thumb. " I chose to punch him. I'd do anything for you S. You're amazing and you're my bestest friend. It's in the job description. Beat up assholes who hurt Serena." He smiled at me as he said this and a feeling of calmness swept over me.

Thayer had a nice smile, so cute. In fact, he was extremely good looking. Why am I thinking about Thay's face, more particularly, why am I thinking about his lips? A sudden urge to kiss him swept over my body. Why was I thinking this?

"S, Are you okay? You seem to have drifted off." Thayer put his arm around me as he said this.

"Yeah. Yeah. I'm fine." I bit my lip as I looked at his beautiful brown eyes. This was wrong. I shouldn't be thinking this. He's my best friend. This would ruin our friendship. Did I really have feelings for Thayer or was this something like a rebound?

Thayer's P.O.V

"So what do you want to do now?" I asked as I looked at Serena who seemed deep in thought. She was beautiful. She deserved so much more than that douche bag. If only she new how I felt about her. I'd probably lose her forever and I couldn't afford that. I knew what I wanted. I wanted more than just a friendship but I was afraid she'd never feel the same way. She was out of my league. How many time I've wanted to kiss her but stopped myself. I've known her for six years and not one of those days did I feel differently about her. She was perfect. I just needed to find a way to tell her.