CHAPTER FOUR

.
.
.
.
.
.

Katherine awoke once again to the noises of the squeaking gym making her groan with annoyance

Katherine awoke once again to the noises of the squeaking gym making her groan with annoyance. Abruptly pulling the throw blanket over her eyes, to try and block the sunlight as well. Groaning in protest but she was already awake now and huffed before lowering the blanket.

At first Katherine didn't understand what was out of place until she noticed she was on the couch alone.

Utterly confused Kat put the blanket back before grabbing the folder and beginning her search for Wally. She checked the library since he oddly frequented there despite his claims of not being a big reader. But he wasn't there.

Remembering he was a jock Kat made her way to the football field next and felt her mouth go dry.

Wally Clark was running shirtless and smashing into fake football dummy's while holding a football. As he reached the end zone he threw the ball down and yelled with pure joy despite being the only one there.

Katherine couldn't help but watch the way he show boated to no one in particular. The ghost of a smile on her lips as he did a little touchdown dance. That's when he felt watched and looked around expecting an annoyed Rhonda or sarcastic Charley. Seeing it was Kat made Wally's cheeks turn a deep red and his eyes to go wide.

He didn't bother putting a shirt on as he ran up to her with a giant beaming smile. "H-hey. I uh- I didn't want to wake you up this morning so I was just- I usually do morning practice." He explains looking at his feet before smiling at her he looked shy.

"Your really good. I bet you were really good against real opponents too." Katherine compliments as she points to the dummy's he had effortlessly moved out of his way.

"Oh you have no idea I was- my mom said I was going to go pro. She was so confident in me, even my coach thought I had a real chance if I went to the right college." Wally brags but not in a way that made Kat want to deck him.

"I believe you. So- you do this everyday?" Katherine asks looking around as he nods still shirtless not noticing how she couldn't meet his eye.

"Yup keeping the skills up. Helps for when we have field day." He says it casually but this was the second time he mentioned field day to her making Kat ask but not get an answer as a bell rang.

"As much as I would love to stay here talking with you- it's group time." Wally says it smoothly despite the blush now going to his ears as he slips on his shirt and jacket leading Katherine by the hand back to the gym.

Clutching onto her yellow folder for dear life, Kats heart began to race and not from Wally's warm touch.

She had never once told a soul about the abuse she suffered at home.

Katherine knew if her father knew she was even telling anyone he'd kill her again. But as Kat approached Mr. Martin he smiled supportively as Kat handed him the folder with an awkward grimace.