-66-

Katniss joins the Victors and Coin for a meeting around a large table. Rosalie can't help but think how many people were probably poisoned in one of these seats.

Pushing the thought from her mind, she takes her seat between Johanna and Annie.

In a clockwise position, they sat: Coin, Johanna, Rosalie, Annie, Peeta, Katniss, Haymitch, Enobaria, Beetee.

"I have invited you all here for several reasons, but first I have an announcement. I have taken the burden and the honour of declaring myself interim president of Panem." This made Rosalie scoff, Coin was as power hungry as Snow with equally selfish intentions. She wouldn't be surprised if she made her own version of the Hunger Games.

"Interim?" Haymitch scoffs, sharing similar thoughts. "Exactly how long is that interim?"

"We have no way of knowing for certain, but it's clear the people are far too emotional right now to make a rational decision. We'll plan an election when the time is right." Haymitch glances around the room as Coin speaks. "But I have called you here for a far more important vote. A symbolic vote. This afternoon we will execute Snow. Hundreds of his accomplices also await their deaths. Capitol officials, Peacekeepers, torturers, Gamemakers. But the danger is, once we begin, the rebels will not stop calling for retribution. The thirst for blood is a difficult urge to satisfy. So, I offer an alternative plan. Majority for may approve it, no one may abstain. The proposal is this. In lieu of these barbaric executions, we hold a symbolic Hunger Games."

The entire room of Victors went quiet out of pure shock and slight disgust.

Johanna laughs and Rosalie has to contain her own laughter, "you want to have another Hunger Games with the Capitol's children?"

"You're joking?" Peeta looks at Coin.

"Not in the slightest," Coin replies in all seriousness.

Haymitch scoffs, "is this Plutarch's idea?"

"It was mine," Coin admits. "It balances the need for revenge with the least loss of human life. You may cast your votes."

There was something in her tone that told Rosalie something bad would happen if the vote did not turn out in her favour, and one glance at both Johanna and Katniss told her that they all had that same idea. 

But there was something else in Katniss' expression when she looked at Rosalie, almost reassuring. Katniss gave her an almost invisible nod.

"No," Peeta's response was immediate. "No, obviously not, this is crazy."

"Well I think it's more than fair, Snow's got a granddaughter," Johanna speaks up. "I say yes."

"So do I, let them have a taste of it," Enobaria says.

I kinda forgot she existed, can't lie, Rosalie thinks.

"You guys, this way of thinking is what started these uprisings," Peeta tries to reason with them.

"No," Beetee says firmly. "We need to stop viewing each other as enemies."

"I vote no, with Peeta and Beetee." Annie says before turning to Rosalie, "so would Finnick if he were here. Especially knowing he has a child."

"But he's not here," Rosalie snaps. "He will never meet his child."

Rosalie paused as she thinks, everyone looking at her whilst they wait for her decision. 

On one hand, Annie is right. Finnick would've said no in a heartbeat. And her heart of gold would've said no too. But that's the thing, her heart of gold died with Finnick. But deep, deep down, she knows it's still there. And she knows for definite that she doesn't want another Hunger Games. It's not the children's fault.

On the other hand, what's to say that, if the vote is an overall 'no', that Coin will even listen? What's stopping her from making it happen anyway, and permanently silencing the Victor's for disagreeing?

Plus, there was something in Katniss' expression... and she decides to put her trust in the Girl on Fire again, one last time.

"I vote yes," Rosalie says and she swore she could see Katniss sigh in relief. "For everyone I've lost."

She felt Annie's eyes on her, she understood why. Annie has a husband, Theo, and child, Aria. And now Rosalie is with child. But she's never been observant enough... Rosalie would have to explain her reasoning to the redhead when this is all over.

"It's down to Katniss and Haymitch," Coin says, her voice sharp.

It's three for no, three for yes, Rosalie thinks to herself.

"I get to kill Snow," Katniss proposes.

"I expected no less of you," Coin replies.

"Then I vote yes. For Prim."

Coin practically sighs in relief, "and Haymitch?"

Haymitch had the same look as Rosalie had wore on her face, confusion but trust, "I'm with the Mockingjay."

"That carries the vote," Coin states. "Excellent. We'll announce the Games tonight after the execution."