46

"Are you sure you can't stay a little while longer?" My mother asks, handing my suitcase to the taxi driver who shoves into the boot of his car as I can't help but wince at the thought of items inside breaking.

"No, no, I should really go," I'm adamant that it's time for me to head home. As much as I've surprisingly enjoyed this past week in Guernsey, I desperately need to get back to work and I know that both my mother and I shouldn't test the harsh limitations of our relationship. It's a miracle we've barely fought this week already, I'd rather leave on a good note.

"Well, make sure you come home again soon, yeah?" My mum pleads, wrapping my body in a tight hug before making her way back into the house, briskly shutting the door behind her. My dad and I exchange a shrug and a giggle at her actions before he also wraps his arms around me, this time warm and comforting.

"Don't stay away too long, Y/N, I miss my girl when she's gone," He chokes as I feel a tear fall onto my shirt. I use every bit of strength in my body to fight back my tears, the crisp spring air refreshing my face as I manage to hold it together.

"Of course, dad," I reply, sliding into the taxi and checking everything I need is in my bag before rolling down the window.

"I love you!" I shout out the window towards my dad as the driver starts the engine.

"I love you too!" He shouts back as he waves. As I go to wave back I catch a glance of my mother in the upstairs window, staring down at me with tired, glazed over eyes. I can't help but find myself feeling particularly sorry for her, knowing that despite our rocky relationship, it can't be easy to watch a child leave home. I wave my hand towards her as the car starts to move, seeing her hand mimic mine briefly before she's out of my sight.

-----

My left hand grips the arm rest tightly as the plane takes off, my head turning to gaze out of the window as the ground becomes further and further away from me. I contemplate how such a beautiful place such as Guernsey can be associated with such horrible, cruel memories of my childhood. 

Perhaps if I was able to attach such horrible memories I could get rid of them? After all, nothing lasts forever, Harry has certainly helped me learn that lesson. Perhaps I could fall in love with my home again, perhaps I could fall in love with Harry all over again, perhaps... perhaps, I could love myself again. 

"You alright?" The woman next to me on the flight asks, her eyes not leaving my hand that is holding on to the armrest for dear life. I think, taking the simple question and dissecting it far further than it needed to be. I am, I actually think I am alright. As much as I love Harry - to what extent, I don't know - I can't control his actions, his feelings, his behaviour. What I can control is myself.

"Yeah," I smile, removing my hand, "Yeah, I am."

-------

A/N: Hello, thank you for reading this chapter and the support. I'd appreciate it if you were interested in reading some more of my work to check out Seductive, as it's going to be my main focus after this book is complete. Take care :)