Chapter 3: Thoughts and Confusion

One day, El went for a walk in the outskirts of the city. The older he grew, the more he wanted to explore the city. He desired to be a king from the people and to know the area of his reign like the back of his hand. He stopped at one of his favorite spots, which looked over the Arakuur Woods. He sat on a large rock and admired the view. He could almost see the Sandstone cliffs.

Here, he closed his eyes, took a deep breath and thought. He thought about his future. He was two years away from being eligible to rule and, ever since the passing of his mother, the years seemed to fly faster than ever. At that particular moment, time was flying fast still. He rested for about half an hour or so until an interruption found its way to him.

A messenger of his father's had arrived. He told El,

    "Tonight, your father will go to the Woods there to search and rescue a watch team. They sent their distress call last night but their message was not clear. All we can make out from it is that troop 47 was captured by the Kurabites."

El gasped "Troop 47 is Cob's troop! Please let me help. I know Cob's methods of rescue better than anyone."

The messenger said that Prince El-keh wouldn't be allowed to go as per his father's command. It would be too dangerous for him. El's heart sunk. "Isn't the fact that my best friend is in danger enough for me to go out and save him? I'm just as capable as everyone else is..."

He went back home at once, to debate with his father before he left. The messenger, Alan, was sent to inform the prince of the situation. Yet, he was also responsible for the safety of the young man. The king trusted him deeply and often went to him for advice. Alan, despite his old age, was trained in the art of sword-fighting and taught the prince himself.

He ran up a wall that was parallel to El's path home. While retreating to the castle, a mid-journey combat occurred. The master and the student. Within the a handful of clashes of their swords, the victor was decided. The young prince mildly wounded his mentor and escaped to the throne room.

The old man was left alone with his bruises and thoughts. "I must stop the prince! I must... I must... I can't."
Tired, he allowed the comfort of rest to take over his body... only for a little while. "Maybe, the best way to protect him is to allow him to protect himself..."

El's father knew of his son's interest in the Kurabites, but he also knew that there were many dangers in the woods. He often told his son,

    "I know you want to help but if something happens to you, who will assume the throne and be my heir? I hope you understand that this is not just about you, it's about the whole kingdom and all the people in it. Boy, think of what is most important."

El was confused about what was really important. He wanted to make his father proud but he also wanted to go to the woods to save his friend (and he did want to explore...). He needed to think this over thoroughly and à grand vitesse.

"I might be too weak to protect myself from certain enemies but doing something is better than nothing... right? Plus, almost anyone can take the throne as long as the people support them..."

He stormed into the king's armory and spoke his concerns.

    "Father, why must I stay back? I need to help you save Cob!"

    "Son, why are you here? I thought Alan stopped you. You are going to your room this instant-"

   "No, Father. If I am the future king, aren't I allowed to care for my people? Mustn't I save them when misfortune comes upon them?"

    "You dare defy the king! I will deal with this later. Do not leave the house till I return. You must remain incase something happens. We need a king."

    "What about my sister? She's much advanced compared to me. She is equal in battle as well."

    "Women can be royal but cannot rule, son. Do not ask such questions."

    "Father. I don't agree with you. What about mother?"

    "Your mother's death was because of the position she was given. NO MORE QUESTIONS SHALL BE ASKED."

The young man, intimidated, stared at the floor and contemplated. He had to decide whether his father's opinion was right or not. "I shall stay quiet and allow Father to leave. Dealing with Cob's situation is for after his departure. I will find out how to do this myself."

His determination gave him the courage to make a desicion. What would that desicion be? King or kind?