Chapter 2: Prince El-keh

Prince El-keh, the son of the King Bar-keh of Evania, lived high up in the mountains of the North on Mt Ku-urma. In a certain city which he called home...

There lay a city covered in snow. This city was the mystical city of Araema. Modern, advanced and, yet, well sustainable in its power sources, the city's streets were almost always lit up by lamps. Covered and protected from sunlight, the nation's most intellectual individuals lived.

They could achieve so much, and yet, could not find a way to free their city from its long-lasting lack of certain vegetation, herbs and rare necessities that the people required. They were more concerned with politics and presenting their own biases to the public. One of the opinions that were shared by many was the assumption that the tribes lived at the foothills were barbaric and uncivilized. The irony of the situation was that the majority had not met a single one of whom they percieved as 'barbaric'.

Near the plains, at the foot of the mountain, was the Arakuur Woods. In the Arakuur Woods lived the ancient tribes of Kurab. El was quite fascinated by their way of life. He had never seen a real Kurabite. He had only learnt about them through his books. He spent the former part of his life buried in mountains of books of many different kinds.

He had always been protected and not allowed beyond certain points in the city. He still managed to sneak away at night and was eventually caught. Then, the king decided that it would be safer if his son's curiosity was allowed during the day under supervision.

Another source of information about the Kurab tribes was his friend, Cob-alt, who served in his father's army. Cob had many stories of his encounters with the Kurabites. One of his main sayings would be,

    "They're just like us, El. Just wanting to be accepted and protect their families. Sometimes, I wonder, why do I think them bad?"

Every time Cob had to go for the night shift with his troop to watch the border of Araema, El would ask,

    "Please Cob, let me go with you so that I may see a Kurabite too" but his father did not approve of him going. Cob-alt's response would always be,

    "Your Majesty, It may not be safe for a young prince like you to go on patrol. Maybe when you train more, you will be allowed to come with troop 47; with my troop".

El envied Cob for his freedom. He always felt that people were too protective of him as he was a prince. El practiced and trained every day and fought quite well. He could match the skills of the army troops. He could beat his own father, the king in combat. He could vanquish a group of enemies, even when surrounded. Yet, he was never trusted enough to be by himself.

"When will I be free? If the sparrows can survive by themselves, I'm sure I can too...right?"