CHAPTER SIXTEEN

He tried with difficulty to focus on what he needed to say while he was transfixed, at her lips and the movement of her slender throat, as she swallowed from her glass.

'You plan on getting to the point, or do you just want to stand there gawking at me?' she hissed.

He sighed, closed his eyes then spoke ever so softly.  'Do you remember the discussion you wanted to have in the USA?'

Her eyes narrowed in surprise, she nodded.

'I'd like it to take place on the estate.'

'No! I__I'm not going back there.'

It held too painful memories for her she could not go back there.

'Kimberly it has to happen there,' he urged, looking at his wristwatch.

'No. I can't' she pleaded.

'Kimberly, let's talk about it after this meeting, you need to hear me,' he spoke urgently.

She wondered at his persistence, 'fine we'll talk after this meeting,' she agreed, 'only because the others are waiting for us outside,' she cautioned walking out with the glass in her hand, her mind preoccupied by whatever it was he wanted to discuss.

The others cast curious glances, suspicious as to what went on behind the closed door.

Was he going to agree to the divorce?
Did he want it now that he was going to be a father?

She had no idea what the content of this meeting was about as it progressed.

She stammered, caught off guard when she was called to respond.

Rick cast a lopsided grin, at her faltering. She was tempted to empty her glass of water on his face. Nobody else suspected her inner turmoil. It was good planning, that she had a response typed out, which she read from, and lucky again, reading through her own investigative analysis was she able to provide an insightful overview of how effectively their strategy worked, identifying weaknesses that needed to be addressed and future opportunities that could be beneficial.

She walked into his office for their private meeting, but stayed close to the door.

'Would you like to take a seat?' he offered, his hand on the door observing her planned exit strategy.

'No thanks,' she replied flatly.

Rick locked the door and slipped the key into his pocket.

'Why are you locking the door?' she stammered.

'I don't want you running out before I am finished,' he declared.

'Finished what?' she swallowed, dreading what she suspected.

'You look more beautiful today, than I can ever remember in all the time we've been married,' he murmured, imprisoning her between the wall and his body.

'I thought you wanted to talk,' she mumbled, her eyes shifting from his eyes to his lips.

'I do,' he spoke softly, tracing his finger on her cheek.

'Did you lure me here under false pretences Riccardo?'

'No, it is my intention to talk to you, but I can't get over how desirable you look,' he groaned, bringing his face so close to hers, his eyes holding hers mesmerized.
She knew she should escape, but her body did not even attempt to move away from him. He was not even touching her, yet every nerve in her body was awakened by his proximity. Deep down inside of her, a part of her that knew him so intimately was crying out for just a touch from him. She felt her throat become dry. She swallowed, hoping it will provide some soothing relief.