Non-related chapter

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is a chapter about what it would be like if Lexie and Mark had died. Just a little filler while I work on the next chapter. :) It's not tied into the actual story, obviously. Just a thought I got out of nowhere. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

AFTERMATH

                It had been months since the plane crash, since Lexie had died under the plane, and since Mark had died from multiple organ failure…a broken-heart is more like it. Everyone’s lives had gone back to normal. Arizona had her prosthetic leg, but was working again, Derek got his hand back to 100% after multiple surgeries, Cristina had left for at least a month to do her fellowship at Mayo, but then came back soon after Mark died, Alex never left for Hopkins, and Meredith…a miracle happened and she got pregnant.

                “You know Dr. Ross, you should really step up your game.” Derek had mentioned to his intern who was observing Dr. Shepherd do a craniotomy.

                “I’m sorry sir?” Shane had replied unsure of what he meant.

                “Step up your game. My last resident…she was great.” Derek said while working on the brain.

                “Your last resident?” Shane was still confused about where this conversation was going.

                “She could do a perfect craniotomy.” Derek mentioned as he looked up at the gallery, took a deep breath, before looking back down at the brain.                

                “What happened to her?” Shane asked before clearing his throat.

                “Just step up your game.” Derek glanced over at Shane who was holding the suction.

                “Yes sir…” Shane nodded, now more confused than ever.

                “Dr. Shepherd got all weird on me today during surgery.” Shane mentioned to his other intern friends while standing around the nurse’s station.

                “Weird? How?” Heather Brooks, one of his intern friends asked.

                “He started talking to me about how I should “step up my game.” And how his last resident could do a perfect craniotomy.” The interns all looked at Shane.

                “His last resident? Who was that?” Jo Wilson asked while leaning against the counter.

                “I haven’t the slightest clue, but if he was trying to bring my confidence down, he succeeded.” Shane sighed a bit disappointed. The interns all looked at each other before heading to the cafeteria for lunch.

                “I still can’t get over this.” Shane complained while eating his lunch.

                “Oh get over it. So Dr. Shepherd told you to step up your game. Big deal. Maybe this is his way of saying you should work harder instead of worrying over small stuff.” Jo said while looking around.

                “I don’t know, but now I feel less confident.”

                “I’m still curious on who his last resident was.” Stephanie said curiously while biting into her sandwich.

                “Whose last resident?” The interns looked up to see Jackson Avery standing by their table.

                “Oh…Dr. Avery.” Stephanie quickly said as the interns sat up straight and acted like they were innocent.