Chapter 11

CHAPTER 11

            What if…that’s the question so many people ask when wondering what would have happened if things were done differently. “What if I wasn’t on the plane crash?” “What if I never confessed my love to Mark?” “What if everyone around me was a completely different person?” What if, what if, what if…?

            “Ugh! C-c-can you believe he’s actually gonna marry her?” I whisper to Jackson as he wraps an arm around my shoulder.

            “And I still can’t believe you’re hung up on this guy. He’s twice your age, Lex. Get over him.” I let out a sigh as I stare at Mark who’s standing a few feet away from me waiting for his soon-to-be-bride to walk down the aisle.

            “I can’t do this…” I quickly get up and leave;Jackson follows after me.

            “Lex, we have to go back in. It’s about to start.”

            “I just can’t, Jackson. This is all so much.” He wraps his arms around me and kisses me lightly on the cheek.

            “We’ll get through this, okay? When it’s over, we’ll get to party and you can get so drunk you won’t remember any of it.” I laugh a bit, but what he says doesn’t make me feel any better.

            “C’mon…” I take a deep breath before I follow Jackson back towards our seats. The music begins playing and everyone turns to look at the bride walking down with her dad next to her.

            “Pft…” I scoff with a light eye-roll as I see her. As she stood next to Mark and the priest began talking, I was tempted to object to their wedding, but I didn’t have enough courage to do that. Suddenly, the priest is interrupted by Mark,

            “I can’t do this.” He says which causes the crowd to gasp in shock.

            “What do you mean?” The priest whispers.

            “I mean, I can’t do this…I can’t get married today.” He turns to look at Julia, oh yeah, that’s who he was gonna marry by the way.

            “I’m sorry, Julia, but I can’t commit to you.” She stood there like a deer caught in headlights.

            “Whatever…” She replies bitterly as she storms out of the church without even asking why. Everyone sits there whispering to each other wondering “what’s gonna happen next?” and “Why did he just do that?” Mark spots me and even though this wasn’t exactly a happy thing, my insides were jumping for joy. Jackson got up and we both left.

            “I guess you got what you wanted.”Jackson says a bit annoyed.

            “What?” I ask a bit confused.

            “You didn’t want him to marry her…and now that he isn’t, you’re gonna run back to him, aren’t you?”

            “I-Jackson…” I whisper.

            “I thought so…” I grab his arm and shake my head,

            “I’m not gonna go running back to him. Especially not after he practically dumped his soon-to-be-bride at the altar.”Jackson looks at me feeling a bit better.

            “Good because that man has already hurt you enough. I don’t need him hurting you again.” I nod before we share a kiss.