Chapter 22: May 31, 1999

Clair and I didn't say a single word throughout the elevator ride. We both just looked down at the floor, silence filled the small space. I occasionally looked up to glance at Clair, but I didn't see her glance at me.

The elevator stopped, we gave each other a nod before heading out.

As we walked, I could hear Chase's voice get clearer and clearer.

Chase: -and prepare my ride. I might need a quick escape.

Chase ended the call and turned to face us.

Chase: Why am I not surprised?

Clair: Chase, sister dear, please step away from the computer.

Chase turned back, to look at the giant computer behind her. A map showing different locations in London with bombs. Business headquarters.

Chase: Clair, Clair, Clair, why must you do this to me?

Clair: We both know that what you're doing is insane.

Chase: No, YOU GOT WEAK! You allowed this man to get to you.

Clair: Still, step away please.

Clair loaded her gun.

Clair: Please, don't make me do this, sister.

Chase laughed.

Harlan: What's so funny?

Chase laughed harder.

Chase: Sister? Clair, really? MAN, YOU TWO REALLY ARE THICK AREN'T YOU?

Clair and I looked at each other.

Chase: Harlan, you know why it'll be so much easier for me to kill her?

I lowered my gun, and Chase smiled.

Chase: Because she isn't my sister. And she never was.

I heard footsteps. I turned around to see henchmen approaching us.

I shot a few shots at them, Clair was alerted, and we ran for cover.

Clair: NOT MY SISTER? WHAT THE HELL IS SHE TALKING ABOUT? WHO IS SHE?

Harlan: That's probably a story she's saving... for another time.

I glimpsed at the henchmen. Four of them. I looked at Chase, she started the countdown. Five minutes.

Harlan: Chase started the countdown. We need to act.

Clair: You take the henchmen, I'll take Chase.

Harlan: Nah, I'll take Chase.

Clair: Harlan, I have the access codes.

Harlan: Okay... fair enough. On three?

Clair: NOW!

Harlan: NO CLAIR-

Too late. Clair ran out of her cover, and started shooting henchmen while running towards Chase. I got out, and started shooting at them, covering Clair. Once I ran out of bullets, I started fighting them.

Clair ran up to the computer, but Chase pulled out a gun.

Chase: No no, don't do that please.

Clair smiled, then slapped the gun to the side, and elbowed Chase's face. The two sisters started to fight.

I took down the last henchman and looked at the timer, two minutes left. I looked at Chase and Clair, still fighting.

Chase kicked Clair back and Clair fell to the ground. Chase got on top of Clair and started to choke her. Clair tried pulling Chase's hands off, but she was too strong. I tackled Chase and Clair started to breathe again.

Harlan: DISABLE THE BOMBS!

I put Chase on the necklock, Clair ran to the monitor. One minute left. Clair started to put in the codes to disable the bombs. Chase laughed as I necklocked her.

Chase: Oh Harlan, I missed you. Ha ha ha.

Harlan: YOU LOST DELVEY, YOU LOST!

Chase: Tell me, how long has it been, Harlan?

Harlan: Since what?

Chase laughed.

Chase: December 25... 1982.

I froze. December 25 1982, how did she know? I remember as my arm loosened. Chase didn't hesitate, she punched me in the face, grabbed her gun and aimed it at Clair.

Harlan: NO!

BANG!

Clair froze. Clair put her hand on her body, and looked at it to find... no blood?

Suddenly, I looked as blood started to flow out of Chase's left shoulder. I turned back to see May, pistol on her hand. Chase fell to the ground, injured.

May helped me up. We sat up as Clair got past the last security program, and disabled the bombs.