Chapter 6: May 20, 1999

I followed the agents and Clair. They walked in the interrogation rooms and came out without Clair.

The agents walked past me. I looked around, made sure nobody was watching before I walked in.

The interrogation room looked like the ones in the movies. Dull gray room, two-way mirror, a metal table with two metal chairs. The table had a bar where Clair was cuffed to.

I didn't know why but I felt compelled to sit down. The both of us sat in silence. I looked at her, and she looked at me. I looked at her eyes. She wasn't looking, she was observing.

Analyzing.

She was analyzing my face, then everything else about me.

I tried to copy her, to intimidate her a bit, but it didn't work.

Clair: Stop it. Just... Please stop it.

I looked at her as if I didn't know what she was talking about.

Harlan: Wha-wha... What are you talking about?

Clair: You're trying to read me. It's not working.

...

Clair: I mean it's adorable but please... I don't need you losing brain cells just to impress me.

I sighed.

Harlan: Who are you?

Clair: Who are YOU?

Harlan: What did you do to get here?

Clair: Why do you care? You're not even supposed to even be talking to me.

Harlan: How do you even know that?

Clair: Because I do!

Harlan: Why? Because you're Sherlock Holmes and you used your powers of deduction and figured it out?

Clair looked at me as though I was the world's biggest idiot.

Clair: Because you don't have files with you. And I saw you in the hall dumbass. I saw you and your girlfriend-

Harlan: Co-worker.

Clair: Co-worker-

Harlan: Actually... best friend.

Clair: Whatever she is... you're best friend that you had a former crush on-

Harlan: I DID NOT!

Clair: Yes you did.

Harlan: Yes I did. HOW DID YOU EVEN KNOW THAT?!

Clair: Does she know?

Harlan: Yes she does-

Clair: No she doesn't.

Harlan: OF COURSE SHE DOESN'T!

Clair: You screwed real bad didn't you?

Harlan: NO!

Clair held back her laughter.

Clair (laughing): Wap.

Harlan: Enough!

Clair stopped laughing, but her smile stayed on her face. She enjoyed it.

Harlan: How did you know all those?

Clair: Harlan Harlan Harlan, I know a lot about you. Even before you spoke your first words to me.

Harlan: Like what?

Clair takes a deep breath.

Clair: I know that you are from a family of four. A father, mother, and a sibling... I'm guessing brother, younger. Parents probably died while you were at a young age meaning you had to look after your brother. I know you got really drunk last night, hangover, woke up with no memory of what happened last night and you have no idea why you are here and why you followed me.

I looked at Clair, she read me. I didn't want to tell her but everything she said was right. It just took one look for Clair to read me.

Clair: I thought so.

I got up to leave the room. I walked to the door and before I could turn the knob, Clair spoke one last time.

Clair: I'll see you soon, Harlan.

I turned back to face Clair, who looked at me, then winked. I leaned on the door, processing what happened. Whoever that woman was, she was something else.

Suddenly, the observation room's door opened and May stepped out.

Harlan: What the hell were you-

It then hit me. Clair was her case. She was gonna interrogate Clair. And she heard everything.

Harlan: Damn it.

May: Well well well, we have a lot to talk about later Harlan.

May winked at me. I moved away and she opened the door to Clair. But before she went in, she stopped and turned to me.

May: By the way, WAP, or 'Wet Ass Pussy'... that's you.

May laughed as she went into the room to interrogate Clair.