Chapter 14: May 30, 1999

May: Hey, dummy! Get up!

I opened my eyes and she saw me wake up. I sat up and fixed myself.

Harlan: What are you doing here?

May: Thought we were going out for dinner, then you didn't show up. Had to eat by myself, thanks.

I stretched my arms.

May: Then at midnight, you still weren't home, which meant only two things. Either you got mugged or kidnapped, or-

Harlan: Or I was here, good job.

I sarcastically gave May a thumbs up, but she looked at me seriously, and concerned.

May: Is everything alright, Harlan?

I looked at May. She didn't know whatever happened between me and Clair. I wanted to tell her what I told Clair. I wanted to tell her something that has been haunting me for twenty-four years. But part of me told myself not to, and so I smiled and lied.

Harlan: Yeah yeah, everything's fine. Just a bit exhausted on the case. By the way do tell me, who's the newbie?

May: The newbie?

Harlan: Yeah, light blond hair. Never seen her before.

May: Harlan, we don't have a new-

Harlan: Also, what's it with you? Giving me incomplete data?

May looked at me, confused.

May: I'm sorry?

I got out the files.

Harlan: I asked you. Get files on her family. Paul, Taylor and Chase Delvey, you only gave me files on Paul and Taylor.

May: Yeah because-

Harlan: I then checked and nothing! Are you playing with-

May: Harlan, that's everything we have. There are no files on a Chase Delvey.

May was the type who liked to prank and joke around. I could tell in her eyes if she was joking or not, but right now she wasn't. She was serious.

Before I could respond, the alarms went off. May and I looked at each other.

Harlan: What time is it?

May: Thirty minutes till three in the morning. Why?

I gave her a look, and she understood. We weren't alone.

I grabbed my coat and me and May ran out, leaving the files. We ran to the CCTV room to see what happened. May sat down and started going through the cameras.

May: Somebody broke in the main entrance.

She rewinded the tape. The newbie and two agents in T.H.E.P.A. military gear walked to the door.

Harlan: There! That's the newbie I'm talking about!

May stopped the tape and ran facial recognition.

Harlan: What are you doing?

May: Harlan, we don't have a newbie, and I've never seen her before.

May limited the facial recognition to only T.H.E.P.A. personal, and no results came out. She wasn't T.H.E.P.A.

May: I'll find them, put the base on lockdown!