Chapter 19

ZANDER

The Karhu, Aeron's bear shifters pack, was located at the border of Northern Lands. Right where the protective dome ended towards the mountains. The protection that nature provided us in the form of high snowy peaks, a feat to cross for the most resilient of the magical creatures that existed, impossible for humans to achieve.

The journey would take us a while as we had to travel through the forest by foot. There were no pavement roads towards their accommodations. After what happened between our packs, the bears wanted their own space, solitary creatures as they were. Hibernating in the colder winter months like their animal counterparts.

Leander and I hadn't interchanged words since leaving Ilaria's bookstore. We didn't know yet who was involved or if there were others following us. Only the soul-crushing fact that Calandra was ripped from my side, taking half of my heart with her. According to Kenna and Abraxas, dark magic had seized her, and the one thing that made me push forward was doing everything in my power to bring her back.

The pack lands of The Karhu were located deep into the mountains and thickening trees of the forest. We left our motorcycles where the gravel path ended, and Leander flashed the red eyes of Novak my way, knowing that we were entering their territory unannounced and they wouldn't feel inclined to offer us their hospitality. I knew bears for being grumpy creatures when disturbed.

I concentrated my senses on our surroundings. Since encountering Faolan's lacerated body in the forest, the heavy blanket of sulfur and blood from the Penumbra critters that had tainted the air had nestled itself into my nostrils. I used the impressions from that small clearing to guide me now for anything out of the ordinary that I could perceive. Scouting for even the smallest of clues we could find.

Through the thickness of the trees, the sunlight fought to make its way through the branches. My cousin and I noticed nothing unusual, and after walking for almost an hour; warmth seeped into the frigid temperature and the twinkling lights from the lanterns that hung in the trees indicated we had arrived.

The Karhu lived in a labyrinth of interconnected caverns under the mountains. Accommodated with all the modernities and magic contraptions that were at our disposal, they possessed the same amenities we had.

At the entryway towards the main cavern stood two large totems. They were carved out of wood and decorated with a ritual paint made of crushed herbs and pigments. They embedded minerals and stones into the artistic sculptures and the dark material that was used for the eyes appeared to be looking ominously down at us. My best guess was that they were enchanted like the mirror in Kenna's bar.

My suspicions rang true when two bear shifters opened the wooden doors and stepped aside to let us in. A warning growl passed through them both when we approached. It was enough to let us know we had to tread carefully, and the bears hadn't forgotten the brawl between Leander and their leader, Aeron.

Warm and cozy accents were present in the insides of the caverns. The spices of incense and tea drifted in the air as we passed through what seemed like a sitting area. Beaded curtains and the crystals interwoven in the fabric that glimmered in the light, separated the caverns. Pillows, ottomans and rugs in various colors lay scattered on the dark wooden floor, the vivid colors blending with the natural elements. Lights provided by magical lanterns and glow worms that nestled into the rocks gave everything a shamanic feel.

Bears were known for enjoying moments of solitude, having each their personal space within the pack, and they designed this common area for that purpose. Tranquility, while feeling part of a pack.

Conan picked up the slamming of a book on one of the tables, and the rustling sound of someone passing through one of the beaded curtains followed. Leander and I whipped our heads up to the sound.