Chapter 8

CALANDRA

When I left Ilarias', holding a book clenched in my hands, I never thought I would end up in Zander's apartment, while he lay passed out on the couch.

I looked around the modernly decorated apartment and resisted the urge to flick on lights to snoop around. I resigned to sitting down in the armchair opposite the large sectional where I had helped Zander nestle into. While Zander snored softly in the background, I leaned back into the cushions, kicked off my shoes, and got comfortable.

The moment of calm and silence helped me to run through the things that happened today. From the confrontation with Zander, my talk with Ilaria, to escorting my drunk werewolf mate from the witch's bar. It had my mind spinning, to say the least.

A sudden need had washed over me, somehow knowing where Zander had gone to. After mulling it over in my head, I gave into the strange pull to be close to him and took my car to the Drunk Kraken.

Jealousy had violently taken over when I saw the female Aurora pack member all over Zander with her paws. I had no claim over him, but an all-consuming rage in me rose to the surface. When I marched closer, fueled by the foreign emotion cruising through my veins and noticed his intoxicated state, I knew he had no fucking idea that there was a female wolf rubbing herself against him.

Kenna had been serving him some liquor she had concocted and it was strong enough to take out the Gamma of a werewolf pack. Both affected by the circumstances that fate had bound us with, I was stuck with a damn book to read while Zander had a hangover to battle in the morning.

Zander tossed and turned while he slept. Turning around, the blanket I draped over him moments ago fell to his hips and the shirt he wore crept up, revealing his toned stomach and giving me a generous peek of his washboard abs.

A blush crept on my face, and I used the book to hide my face behind it. Zander was completely out of it, but I didn't need him to wake up suddenly and catch me ogling him like the wolf lady from the bar had been doing.

I began skimming the pages of the book, letting the glow of the moon settle in through the windows. Ilaria had told me that most of my questions would be answered after reading the basics on werewolves.

From the Moon and Sun curse, I picked up the essentials as my mind kept drifting to the real specimen on the couch right in front of me. I caught myself staring at him multiple times, unable to keep my eyes on the words written on the pages.

... ~ You're beautiful.

I jumped up from the passage I had been reading as the strange voice filtered inside my mind. I shook it away, shaking my head and looking frantically around the room as if there was someone else with us. The voice was deep, alluring, and I tried to regain control of my treacherous body. The one with animal instincts in the room was supposed to be sleeping, not talking to me in my mind.

... ~ I can sense you, but I don't know if you can hear me.

I slid off the armchair, dropping the book I had been immersed in to the plush carpet on the ground. The pages dropped open and a gasp left my lips when it hit me that I hadn't nodded off. The voice in my head was really there and had me enthralled. I had a sneaking suspicion that it came from Zander.

Stepping closer and lowering myself to my knees, I sat beside a sleeping Zander. Soft breaths left his lips on steady exhales and his chest arose on the inhales. Mesmerized, I stared at him, letting my eyes take in their fill of his physique.

I couldn't control myself and softly traced his sharp jawline, tracing the five o'clock shadow. His skin, between the unshaven parts, was smooth and warm. It tingled under my touch, like a current of energy passing between him and I. Startled by the intensity, it had me pulling my hand away suddenly.