Chapter 13

ZANDER

We spent the night at the Aurora packhouse, in the room I hadn't used in quite a while. When I hadn't been able to stay in this place for too long, when it felt suffocating, I moved to my apartment; it was a part of who I was and what I represented in the werewolf pack. I felt immensely grateful to be able to share this with Calandra.

We had slept in each other's embrace the entire night, pure happiness seeping into my heart when slumber took over my consciousness after our intimate moment in the tub.

Having her in my arms felt right. I enjoyed the feeling of having her close to me, seeing her chest rise and fall without nightmares disturbing her rest. Conan and I fiercely wanted to protect her, the need ingrained into his wolf spirit that coursed through me and infused me with the animalistic nature.

I opened my eyes before Calandra, wanting to see how the morning light of the sun cast its rays on her sleeping form. She stirred in my arms, and I contemplated whether to wake her or to keep staring at her for a bit longer.

Conan ~ Mate.

Zander ~ She's beautiful.

It was still early in the morning, but if I knew my mate, Calandra would have wanted to wake up early and explore the pack lands. It was hard to miss her twinkling eyes and the drumming of her excited heartbeat when we entered the gates last night.

I woke her up with a peck on her freckled soft cheek, causing her to open her eyes. Her long lashes fluttered, revealing her pale green eyes; followed by a yawn and a stretch. Her creamy skin glowed, reflecting the sunlight. I couldn't help but wonder what she would be like with her Asterion wings.

"Good morning," Calandra drawled, burying her face in the t-shirt I slept in. Her small hands clutched the fabric tight, making me pull her closer to my body, enveloping her.

"We've got a busy morning," I said and kissed her hair. I inhaled her unique scent and held her for a moment. The feeling of us both in my bed, was awakening something primal inside me. "And if we keep it up, we won't be leaving the room, or this bed for that matter."

Calandra wiggled free from my arms and gazed up, smiling at me. "As enticing as that sounds, Gamma, we need to talk to the Council today."

"First, breakfast," I said, already regretting that I wasn't between her legs to feast on her. "And meet the Alpha and Luna of the Aurora pack." Calandra visibly paled, and I hugged her to my chest. "I know it's all overwhelming," I murmured against her temple as I rubbed soothing circles over her back. "Just know that for werewolf protocol, we are taking it slow. Don't let them intimidate you."

"I know." she leaned over to peck my lips, the feel of her lips against mine making Conan purr in contentment. "I want to know everything about your pack and the role you have here."

"Then I'll give you the tour when we finish the meeting with the Council." I concluded and leaned in to devour her mouth.

Closing the door to my quarters behind us, my back bumped into someone in the hallway. When Conan growled in my head, I knew there was something amiss.

A mumbled sorry and a string of inward cursing made me focus on the she wolf. I could recognise that suffocating perfume anywhere, and I prepared myself to face my biggest mistake as I turned around and wrapped my arms around Calandra's waist. I held her close against me, facing this nuisance together.

"Zander," Lyssa's shrill voice scraped over my skull, "and you," she added with a dismissive tone towards Calandra.

Lyssa crossed her arms over her chest, making her breasts bunch up and bile rose into my throat. She looked like a spoiled brat whose toy had been taken away.