Chapter 12

CALANDRA

I didn't fight Zander on the need to go to the Aurora pack tonight. He had asked me, considerate of what I wanted. However, after Nereida's warning, popping up in the Aquarium and using her legs on us meant that she was indeed worried for my safety; and I couldn't be more thankful for her warning.

I quickly entered the Drunk Kraken to say goodnight to my friends, who were dancing with an elated mermaid on the dancefloor. I couldn't imagine how difficult it must be for her to only be able to use her legs once a year. It made me think about my wings and being unable to fly in Northern Lands. That part of me would always remain in Asterion and I missed them.

The only thing I hated about leaving with Zander and his cousin to the Aurora pack tonight was leaving my car behind for the girls to get back to Ilaria's. They needed it to drop Nereida at the lake before dawn.

Which meant... I had to get on Zander's motorcycle to ride to the werewolf pack.

I harrumphed and stomped my feet against the gravel, while Zander offered me his second helmet. I had said earlier that I wasn't getting on his damn death machine, but I had run out of options.

Zander had a shit-eating grin plastered on his face, and it only enraged me more, making me act like a toddler. I knew it was the only way, as the pack lands were located deep in the forest and I didn't have the ability to shift into a giant wolf like my companions.

Leander was already sitting on his bike, rolling a new cigarette between his fingers and licking the paper shut. I could ride with him, just to piss Zander off, but this was frightening enough. I knew Zander would drive slower for my sake. Who knew if Leander was a speeding maniac? He certainly looked the part with his daredevil rugged looks and ripped clothes.

And those red eyes earlier. A shiver ran over my spine at the memory.

I yanked the helmet from Zander's fingers and slipped it over my head. He sat down on his bike as he watched me fumble with the clasp. He said nothing, just stared, waiting for me to give up and ask him for help. Leander looked over at us, amused, as he lit his cigarette and grabbed the handlebars, ready to leave.

Dispirited, I turned around to face Zander once more, pouting.

"Come here," he ordered, tapping his thigh.

I dragged my feet to him, pausing at his knees and looking into those incredible yellow eyes. He normally wore sunglasses at night, but he had taken them off and the intensity of his stare entranced me.

Zander grabbed my waist, his large hand pulling me into him, so I was standing now directly in between his legs. "Let me see," he breathed, his fingers making fast work of the helmet's clasp.

The closeness to his body relaxed me instantly. His laid back approach to my childish ways, endearing. He already knew how to deal with my humor and mood swings. I suppose in some way or another, that was what the mate-bond did; completing each other to perfection.

The smile he captivated me with when the helmet was secured compelled me to give him a quick kiss on those luscious lips. His taste was addicting.

"Ready to go?" Leander jested, drumming on the handles of his bike impatiently.

Zander lifted me up by my waist and, in one swoop, had me sitting on the cushioned leather seat. Panic set in, and he placed his hand on my thigh, comforting me and calming me down with his hypnotizing voice. "Hold on to my waist and let me know if I need to stop at any time."

He sat down and I held on for dear life as he throttled the bike and rode from the gravel parking lot.

It took me a moment to open my eyes and free my fingers from digging into Zander's sides. The roaring of the motorcycle rang loudly in my ears. I shielded myself behind Zander's back, my ear resting against the supple leather of his jacket. His scent enveloped me, calming my senses.