Chapter 43

Liv and Jess lay on a mattress in the corner of the room, staring at the ceiling. The room was completely empty, except for some boxes piled in the opposite corner of the room, which felt like they were towering over them both, reminding them that they needed unpacking. While the mattress had been comfortable enough, Liv sat up and rubbed her shoulders.

"I said we should've stayed at mine until you'd built the bed. It would've been much comfier," Liv grumbled.

Jess wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her back down and into him, "yeah, but where's the fun in that. I actually have my own apartment now, and I'd like to sleep in it."

"You'll be sleeping in it alone for the next 3 nights anyway," Liv said, settling against him.

"Yes, but this is the first night," he emphasised.

"Tonight could've easily been the first night," Liv huffed. A small grin appeared on her face, "admit you just wanted the first night to be with me."

"I wanted the first night to be with you," he said, kissing her shoulder, "and seeing as you're off on spring break with Hayley, last night was the only chance."

Liv pouted, "that was far too easy to get out of you."

Jess chuckled, "I'll put up more of a fight next time."

"Thank you."

"Do you have time for breakfast before you go?" Jess asked.

"You think I'm moving without a coffee?" Liv asked, wiggling out of his arms, "I'm not gonna let your diner experience go to waste now, am I?"

Jess smiled at Liv, who had settled on her side of the mattress and closed her eyes again, before getting up and walking to the kitchen in the next room. A few minutes later, he arrived back with a coffee and a bagel with bacon and egg, the smell making her open her eyes and sit up. Jess didn't think he'd ever seen her so happy to see him until now.

She began eating her breakfast and looked up at him as he began to get dressed, "how are you feeling about your first day at work?"

He shrugged, "fine. How hard can it be?"

Liv hummed and ate her bagel in silence. Jess was buttoning up his shirt and she jumped up out of the bed and walked over to him, waving his hands away from his shirt, unbuttoning them.

He raised an eyebrow, "if you wanted my shirt off you should've just said."

"Nope, I just want it buttoned up properly. Seeing as you've buttoned it up wrong. Call me crazy but I'm gonna say it's the nerves," Liv mused.

Jess rolled his eyes.

When she had finished, she looped her arms around his neck and made him look her in the eyes.

"Jess, you're allowed to be nervous. You've had jobs before, but this is different. You actually want this one. I know it's not your long term goal or anything but you do want this right now. And you're allowed to be nervous, even if you only show it here, around me, and then put on your big strong exterior as soon as you step out of here," Liv told him.

He looked at her for a few seconds, contemplating her, and then kissed her forehead.

"I'm not nervous," he shrugged, walking away from her to one of the boxes, "I do however need to go."

Liv frowned, "I won't be able to lock up, and I can't leave like this."

He pulled something out of his back pocket, and handed it to her, "that's why I got you this."

Liv gasped and grinned at her, "my own key! Already?"

Jess shrugged, "they only gave me one key and I always planned on you having one so I got it cut for you before I picked you up yesterday."