Chapter 33

Liv walked back into the restaurant, holding back her tears. She made her way through the many people to the table that Adam was sat at, looking at her expectantly.

"Are you okay?"

Liv shook her head, "this was a bad idea. Thank you but I'm gonna go."

"No," he said, grabbing her hand lightly as she went to leave.

"I want to go," she said, sniffing a little.

Adam scoffed, "he doesn't deserve you."

"Yes he does," Liv said, hysterically, "what is it with you Harvard boys thinking that I shouldn't be with Jess because he goes to a community college instead of here? Just because he wasn't spoon fed everything doesn't mean he's not as good as you. I'm leaving."

Adam shook his head, "I didn't mean that - I didn't even know he went to a community college. I just meant that he doesn't deserve you if he's upset you this much."

Liv looked at him, her eyebrows furrowed, "I'm sorry. That's just what people usually think. I still want to go home, though. I'm sorry, Adam. I'll see you on Monday in class."

And with that, she left him standing in the restaurant alone. She walked down the street, pulling her coat around her, groaning frustratedly as she felt drops of water fall on her head. She pulled out her mobile again, and tried calling Jess back. There was no answer, and she wasn't surprised at all. She swallowed, suddenly nervous about being alone this late at night in the dark in a place she barely knew. She pulled her hood up as the rain began to fall heavier, and picked up her walking pace a little.

Suddenly, she fell back onto the floor as she collided with someone walking round the corner. She hissed as he rubbed her lower back, the impact of her landing causing pain to shoot here.

"I'm so sorry, are you — Liv, is that you?"

She looked up and rolled her eyes as she saw Max in front of her. Still angry from the other evening, she stood up and carried on walking. She heard his footsteps behind her, and turned around sharply.

"Can you stop following me? It's creepy and surely after the other evening you'll know that I don't wanna talk to you," she snapped.

"And to think I was gonna offer you a lift back to campus," he said, folding his arms.

"I don't want your help. I'm perfectly happy catching hypothermia if it means that I don't have to be alone with you," she said.

"Hypothermia's the least of your problems. You could get run over or kidnapped or mugged," he put an arm around her shoulders and turned her to face the other way, where a large group of men about her age were gathered, smoking and drinking, "and once they see a pretty little thing like you..."

Liv turned and slapped him, "I'm sure they're harmless and wouldn't give me a second glance."

She carried on walking, freezing when one of the men Max had pointed out turned to her an wolf whistled, long and low. She heard a chuckled from behind her, and turned back slowly.

"Definitely harmless. You wanna carry on alone or get a ride with me?" Max smirked, leaning against his car.

Liv rolled her eyes once again, before walking to him, "fine, but only because I value my life. This decision is nothing to do with you."

She sat in his passenger seat, staring at her phone, almost begging it to ring.

"So," he said, "what were you doing out here all alone late this Saturday evening?"

"I was having dinner with a friend," she said shortly. Usually, she'd come up with a sarcastic reply, but tonight she was exhausted.

"And your friend left you all alone?" He tutted.