Chapter 15 - Fluff? Less likely then you thought, but still possible

TW: Mentions of Death, Trauma, Self depreciating humor, Sad boy being sad

POV: Sun (ThirdLife!Grian)

"Hey, Scott?" Sun knocked on the door of the room the other survivor resided within. He wanted to know... If this was normal. If the same thing had happened to the others. "Scott?"

He got eerie silence as a response. He knocked once more. "Scott, This isn't funny..." His voice shook, as he checked the communicator he'd been given. No death messages, so Scott couldn't be dead. "Scott?"

He slowly creaked the door open, to see an empty room. No, no no no... He took a deep breath. Scott's fine, he HAD to be fine.

He glanced around the room. "Scott, if your hiding somewhere, please, just come out, it's me, Sun-"

His eyes locked on something. On the desk of the room, there sat a note. His hand shook as he picked it up.

"Dear Gem, or whomever may receive this message.
We're very sorry. It wasn't meant to end this way.
Scott's alright, all things considered.
But he will be gone for a bit, a situation has arisen.
Please give this note to"

At this point, two names were written but hastily scribbled out beyond recognition. They were then rewritten below.

"Grian or Pearl whenever you can.
They'll know who we are, and how to find us.
- Canary and Shadow.
PS: we're sorry."

"What..." He fell to his knees. He choked back a sob, his mind racing to all the ways this could have gone wrong... Not again, he'd gotten close to this Scott... Something had gone wrong, and he couldn't save them. Was he cursed, would everything he touched fall far from his grasp?

"Sun?" A voice sounded from the doorway, soft and melodic. They seemed calm, but nervous. "Sun, are you alright?"

"He's not here..." He muttered, turning to look at the elf. "This note was left..." Tears fell onto the ground, his chest aching. He missed Scott... It hurt, it hurt so bad...

"Oh..." Gem wrapped him in a hug, tight, as if he might run off at any moment. "He'll be fine... I'll make sure of it. Grian and Pearl were asking for you..." Her voice was soft.

A warm, yellow glow wrapped around him, almost like sunshine. He let himself fall into it. It was nice, taking the weight off of his shoulders... But all too soon, it was gone.

"Pearl..." Gem's voice spoke from next to his ear. "Scott's... Gone. There was a note."

"What?" Pearl was clearly stressed, audible in the strain of his voice clearly even though Sun had his eyes clenched closed. He could practically vividly imagine her pacing the rock.

"Sun's not taking this well..." Gem's voice softened.

He wanted to say something about them talking about him as if he wasn't there, but the words got stuck in his throat. Footsteps approached, and he finally opened his eyes.

Pearl was approaching with a large fuzzy blanket. This didn't surprise him, he had almost guessed what she had been bringing when he heard the footfalls, the image had been vivid in his imagination. (How did he know that..? It was almost like deja vu, but even more... Real.)

"It's not been a great day for anyone here... How about we have a sleepover?" She grinned, although there was a hint of anxiety and sadness behind it. (How did he guess that..? She seemed as hard to read as ever, but he could just tell...)

He shrugged, staring at the ground. He didn't want to get attached again, it always hurt more... A vision of Scar flashed through his mind, and he nearly started crying... Never again, never again. It would cause others to get hurt, it would hurt him too, it was so much worse...