Prologue

Age 5

"Hi. My name is Courtney. I just moved here." The preppy little five year old said to the boy.

Duncan gave her a mischievous smirk. "I'm Duncan. Wanna do something fun?" Courtney looked hesitant for a moment, but gave him a toothy grin and took his hand.

"Duncan! We're going to get in so much trouble!" Courtney said as they walked further along in the woods.

"Trouble is my middle name." He said with a smirk only a troublemaker like him could produce.

"I know but- ow!" Courtney had tripped on a root.....and fell straight into a pile of mud, ruining her crisp white dress.

Duncan started cracking up and Courtney glared at him. "Well. Don't just stand there and laugh, help me." Duncan continued to laugh as he held out a small hand.

Courtney continued to glare until she gave a devilish smile and pulled Duncan's hand, making him fall into the mud with her.

Duncan looked at her and Courtney started to giggle, as he had mud on his face and clothes. Duncan started to laugh also.

"Courtney! You're dress!" Courtney's mother exclaimed, with her father and Duncan's parents trailing not far behind.

"Duncan! You're already starting trouble with the new neighbors!!!!" Duncan's mother scolded.

Courtney's mother helped her up out the sticky substance. "Let's get you cleaned up." As she was being led back towards her new house, she glanced back at Duncan who was being scolded by his parents. He caught her eye and smiled.

This was the beginning of a strange friendship.

Age 10

"I'm sorry..." Duncan said as he sat next to Courtney along the wet grass. Courtney sniffled.

"He didn't even get to say goodbye...." She whispered as she looked at the necklace her father had given her, her last bit of him.

Duncan looked at her before, hesitantly, putting a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"You still have me..." He whispered and Courtney looked up at him through her tears.

"You'll always have me.." He continued and Courtney hugged him. "Thank you." She said. And they stayed that way for a long time.

And they always would have each other. They needed each other. More than they knew.