Six

Saturday
Y/N's POV:

It was 10:00am. I had been up since eight, but I didn't feel like getting up. Victor came in once to tell me that breakfast was ready, but I wasn't hungry.

The bruises on my body were still there, but they were easier to cover with makeup, which Rosa helped me with.

I had been distant the past few days, and not just with Billy, but with everyone. I was relieved to be away from my abusive situation, but I was scared too. The police said that my dad was gone before they got there. What if he came back? What if he found me? Or worse. What if he found me and Billy's family? I didn't want them to get hurt.

So I kept my distance from them while we were at school and walked on the streets together. I had my eyes out for any sign of my father. I knew if I got to him before they did, he couldn't hurt them. I'd turn myself in for them if it meant that he wouldn't do anything to harm them. They don't deserve that.

Despite me having powers, I never had the heart to use them on my dad. It just never seemed right, and plus, I didn't even know how to control them half the time. As much as he hurt me most of my life, I couldn't do the same to him. He was the only family I had left. I try to hold onto the good times we used to have.

Soon, 10:00am became 11, and 11 became noon. I hadn't left the room I was staying in. I suddenly heard a knock on the door, "Who is it?" I asked.

"Billy. Can I come in?" I heard his voice from the other side.

I got out of bed and sat on the desk chair and pretended I had been doing homework, even though I hadn't been. "Sure," I replied.

The door slowly opened, and Billy peaked his head inside before fully entering the room. "Are you okay? You seemed distant these past few days."

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said as I looked up from the notebook on my desk, "just doing some homework."

Billy came closer and leaned over to see the notebook I had (not) been writing in, "Rough time, huh?"

As soon as he said it, I knew he knew that I was lying. I sighed, "Was there something you wanted?" It came out a little harsher than I wanted it to.

"Sorry. I—I just wanted to make sure you were okay. You've been pretty distant these last few days." He said it like he genuinely cared. He said it like he was worried. I don't know the last time someone was worried about me.

I sighed and put the pen, that I wasn't even using, in my hand down. "I'm sorry. I'm just going through a lot right now, and I'm not really sure how to deal with it."

"I get it. I've gone from foster home to foster home because I was so desperate to meet my birth mom, that I went to almost any length to find her." He reached over and laid his hand on top of mine.

Suddenly, I flashed back to when my mom was killed, and how she told me to run. Then there was another vision of me putting out that fire the other day.

"Trust the Champion..." That stupid whisper came back.

For the first time, I looked over at Billy, and he didn't seem to have noticed. He just continued, "My point is, even though it is a lot to adjust to, we are here for you. We're not going to replace your old family, and we wouldn't try to. Take it from me, you'll feel much better if you let them in. They're good people—we're good people. We would never do anything to hurt you."