Chapter 3

"Why does she have to eat here again?" Teddy asked. "She ate here last night and slept downstairs and she's still there. Plus you took the day off work to look after her! I mean, isn't that enough? You're going way too far with the charity, Mom."

In the kitchen of their house on Rendall Street, Teddy was rinsing off salad greens while Neea spooned some grainy mustard into the vinaigrette she was making.

"Ted, not so loud. Darwin might be awake."

"Whatever," said Teddy. "We don't owe her anything."

"It isn't like that, Ted. She can stay for dinner... Oh, and your father called today."

"When?"

"Maybe an hour ago. He called to ask if I thought you should go over there at Thanksgiving."

"He called you cuz he knew I'd just say 'no'," said Teddy. "They're just going to get caterers again because Cassie and Dad can't cook! I really just want regular turkey this year and they're totally gonna have something weird."

"I know, but you need to spend time with him. You haven't been over there since before school started."

"Yeah, but... ugghh!"

Teddy liked Thanksgiving. He liked the turkey and mashed potatoes, the stuffing and the gravy, and he liked the fact that Canada had its own version of the holiday in October, more than a month earlier than American Thanksgiving. It was far enough from Christmas to logically spread out the celebrations. For Teddy, Thanksgiving was about cooking at home, filling up the house with good smells and filling up your stomach so much you wanted to pass out. It wasn't about fussy and pretentious catered dinners.

"Hey," said Darwin, coming into the kitchen.

"Oh!" Neea said brightly. "Here's the survivor!"

She wiped her hands on her apron and crossed the kitchen toward Darwin with a look of concern on her face.

"How are you feeling? It hurts to walk?" she asked.

Teddy stood by the stove, stirring a pot. He glanced over at Darwin. She had her backpack over her shoulder like she was ready to go. Good, he thought.

"Not too bad," said Darwin. "Couple of bruises, some aches and pains. Guess it takes more than a car to keep me down."

"Next time we'll use a truck," Teddy muttered under his breath.

"Ted!" said Neea sharply. "What a thing to say!"

"Joking," Teddy said.

"It's OK. Um, is that clock right?" said Darwin, pointing at the clock on the microwave.

"Yes," said Neea. "You slept a long time. We were getting worried! Do you think we need to put ice on your leg again? How's the swelling?"

"No, it's fine," Darwin said. "And thanks for washing my clothes. You didn't have to do that."

"Well, I was doing some laundry anyway and hoped you wouldn't mind," said Neea. "Are you hungry? We're just cooking salmon. It's a Finnish recipe. It isn't leftovers this time!"

"Yeah, I should probably just go," Darwin said, pointing with her thumb towards the front door.

"Oh no, don't worry! We're making plenty, so please stay. It's the least we can do!"

• • • •

I've heard her say that a few times already. Dinner last night was the least they could do. Letting me sleep here was the least they could do. Now a second dinner is the least they can do. I'm wondering how long I could stick around here trading on my victimhood and reaping the benefits of the least they can do.