Infiltration Mission (Part 1)

Shikadai was on his way to deliver lunch to his father when he overheard Naruto talking about a mission.

"I just don't know who to send... Who in this day and age knows how to ballroom dance?!"

"Well," his father started. "Hinata might be a good candidate. She used to be a princess, right?"

Naruto sighed. "But I can't exactly abandon the village to go with her... Shikamaru, can you go with Temari?"

"No can do," Shikamaru said with a chuckle. "I don't think my hairstyle would be approved at a feudal lord's party. And besides, Temari is technically from the Land of Wind. She's related to the Kazekage. I doubt they'd be happy about her representing the Land of Fire."

"Sucking up to those guys is the worst... Why do they have to do something as old fashioned as hosting a ball? No one in this day and age practices waltzing. And it has to be someone high up enough to represent the village..."

Shikadai chose that precise timing to walk into the room. "I might know someone who can help," he said, handing over the cloth wrapped bento to his father.

"Shikadai?" His father stared at him with a raised eyebrow. "Were you eavesdropping?"

"Kinda. But listen. They're probably going to kill me for this... But I think you should send Boruto and Sarada."

"...Did you eat something weird this morning?" Naruto stared at him in disbelief. 

"All those two do is argue," said Shikamaru. "If we sent them, we'd be asking for trouble. Why on earth would you recommend them?"

Shikadai sighed. "Just call them into your office and ask them. Tell them they have no choice but to go. And if you really don't believe me, just ask them to dance."

The two adults stared at the fourteen year old in disbelief, but Shikamaru was the first to sigh. "Well, your word is usually reliable. I don't know what brought this on, but if you say we can trust them, we'll send them."

Shikadai turned to leave. But just before walking out of the office, he poked his head back in the door. "They're going to pretend like they hate the idea... And make sure you don't mention my name when you give them the mission."

"...Okay..." Both adults shared a look and a shrug. And with that, they sent for Boruto and Sarada.

. . .

"Really? We have to go to a cruddy ball?"

Naruto watched his son curiously. Something about the sparkle in Boruto's eyes betrayed the tone of his voice.

"You really expect me to attend a formal event... With him?" Sarada pointed an accusatory finger, but she didn't back away and point like usual. It was simply extended in his direction.

He also noticed how close they were in proximity. Before, they would stand at least three feet apart, even with Mitsuki in the room. Now they were standing less than a hand's length away from each other.

"I-It can't be helped," said Naruto, sending his advisor a confused glance. "The old- I mean, Feudal Lords, require that the attendees are someone of high status... And you two fit the bill. I can't leave the village, and Shikamaru doesn't know how to dance."

"And you think we know how?"

"You have the time to learn," said Shikamaru. "I've arranged for an instructor to teach you the steps to a simple waltz. Your clothes will be prepared by this evening. The ball begins at 9pm tonight."

The two chunin said nothing. Naruto knew the look on Boruto's face. He was remembering something... Likely the thing that made Shikadai think these two would be good candidates for the ball.