thirteen

_________________________________

The next Wednesday, Lexa arrives to her tutoring lesson with Madi right on time. She knocks, but instead of Madi or Clarke, a man opens the door.

She's never seen him, but she immediately knows she's not supposed to be there. She's seen his freckles, his eyes, his unruly brown hair, his bone structure- Madi and Aden's father. Clarke's ex-husband.

"Can I help you?"

"I uh- I'm here for Madi."

"Why are you here for Madi?"

Clarke appears in the back. "Oh shit," Lexa hears and it must be bad because she's never heard Clarke curse. She feels further out of place, like she uncovered a window looking into Clarke's life that wasn't hers to see through. On the other hand, her body tenses a little and she tries to judge if there's any threat coming from the large, broad-shouldered man in front of her.

"Do I let her in?" the man asks and Clarke nods frantically.

"Yes, yes, let her in."

So he lets her in, takes her jacket and leads her into the kitchen. "Hi Lexa," Clarke greets her. "I'm so sorry, today nothing is working like it should be. I completely forgot to tell you that Madi isn't here. This is Bellamy by the way, my ex-husband."

"I hate it when you introduce me like that," the man, Bellamy, mutters.

"What else am I supposed to say? The father of my children? The man I used to be wed to?"

He laughs. "Only getting worse."

"See? Anyway, this is Lexa, she's Madi's and Aden's tutor," Clarke introduces her. Lexa smiles a little awkwardly, because that's the only thing she appears to be capable of right now.

So this ex-husband and Clarke are on good terms? They're both incredibly attractive and they like each other? What happened that they divorced? Lexa discards the question- it's none of her business. None of this is her business, she shouldn't be here in the first place. She contemplates what would come across ruder to Clarke- to ask to leave, or to stay.

"Oh, you're the woman responsible for my son speaking French while baking croissants?" Bellamy asks and Lexa's smile turns more genuine.

"Guilty."

"Ah, I've heard a lot about you. Nice to finally meet you. Would you like a cup of coffee, too? Clarke and I just sat down."

"Uh- I don't want to intrude..."

"You're not," Clarke reassures quickly. Lexa agrees to the coffee a little hesitantly. "I'm sorry you had to drive here uselessly, I'll pay you your normal salary of course. Madi and Aden would have left tomorrow, but Bellamy's parents are visiting him today and so we thought they could see their grandparents. They left with the bus after school, but Bellamy thought he'd pick them up, and I forgot to tell you Madi isn't going to be here."

"Oh, that's okay. I don't mind driving. Are you- are you sure I'm not bothering?"

"Not at all," Clarke says again so Lexa accepts that, even if she's not so sure what to make of the situation.

"Lexa, what's your favorite animal?" Bellamy calls from the kitchen. Lexa frowns and her gaze searches help from Clarke.

The corner of Clarke's lips merely tugs upwards knowingly.

What's Lexa's favorite animal? She doesn't know. "Um- a raccoon?" she says for the lack of a better response and a minute later, Bellamy comes in with her cup of coffee.

The steaming foam shows the incredibly detailed facial outlines of a raccoon. "There you go. Never had to make that one, but I hope it looks alright."

"It's fantastic. Are you a barista?"