twenty

_______________________________________________

Lexa isn't sure if there's anything else she messed up with, or if choosing not to open up after Clarke had done it so often hurt Clarke more than Lexa thought, but Clarke cancels the session with Madi on Wednesday.

Clarke has never cancelled a lesson before. It seems like a weird coincidence to her that Madi should be sick right that week, when Clarke doesn't seem to want to see her.

So she succumbs on her couch, considers talking to Octavia, but instead puts on a stupid movie on Netflix.

-

Clarke has no idea how to do this distance thing. On Monday, she chose only to say goodbye instead of hello too. She only later realized that she hadn't just made an attempt to create distance but also violated her basic politeness rules.

She's ready to learn from her relationship with Finn, but it turns out she doesn't know how to. She knows she needs to learn how not to crush people right on. How to understand their needs and her own and find a bridge inbetween.

So, not treating Lexa cold, or with any less kindness, but keep a healthy distance. She does not know how to do that.

All Clarke knows is that Madi has been off for a while and she doesn't want to go to school on Wednesday. All she knows is that cancelling Lexa just that day might seem like too hard of a shove, even though Clarke tells Lexa Madi's sick.

Well, actually, Clarke's not sure if Madi's sick. She's been different these last few days, paler, more spaced out. On Wednesday, she tells Clarke she can't go to school, but she doesn't seem to have problems physically.

Clarke makes sure she goes back to bed, sleeps in, has breakfast and then transfers her to the couch so she doesn't drown in her bed all day. Madi looks better during watching Tangled, distracted, at least, but during the slow moments of the movie whatever's bothering her creeps back up.

Clarke makes apple slices and tea after the movie is over, settles on the couch next to Madi's cocoon of blankets and asks softly, "What's going on, sweetheart?"

"I... I might need to talk to you."

"Okay."

"Um- I messed something up."

"At school?"

"Mhm."

Madi doesn't continue, so Clarke asks, "Like- like you broke the rules? Failed a test? Skipped? Cheated?"

"No, nothing like that." She sighs. "I messed something up with someone."

Clarke swallows. That seems kind of familiar.

"Oh. Okay."

"You know my friend Hope? She was here on my birthday party too. I hang out with her sometimes."

"Yeah."

"Well, I thought she's into that stupid sophomore guy. His name is Chad. I mean who even calls their son Chad anymore?"

Clarke raises a brow at the way Madi gets upset about him. Carefully, she asks, "Do you like him too or-"

"No! He doesn't even look that good and he's such a douchebag. I mean he has absolutely no depth. All he can do is stare at girls in a gross way and play video games. He thinks he's so cool but he's just- so boring and gross. He looks like he never showers."

A little amused, Clarke hums, signalling Madi to continue.

"Hope wouldn't stop talking about him so naturally I came to the conclusion that she likes him. Which is stupid, because he's a literal unicellular, and that one cell isn't even in his brain. Anyway, she went to his party and I came with her because I was worried something might happen if no one watches over a person blinded by love. These kind of popular people highschool parties are just sketchy."