Chapter XI : A Distraught Man

I never thought they'd get me here

Not knowing you'd change from just one bite

I can't feel anything.

Why can't I feel my limbs? What's wrong with me? Why can't I move? What's happening?

Something is telling me that I should be frightened. That I should be panicking.

What does it mean, to be frightened?

"They're blank records, Violet. Free for her to fill with her future hopes and dreams."

The voice that's speaking - it's low. Calm, but amused. The accent to it is crude - some sort of cockney. It's familiar. I know him.

"Will she recognize me?" The second man who speaks has a much softer tone to his voice. It's panicked, but the fear in it sounds wrong.

That's what fear is. I see.

"Without a doubt," the first chimes in. "Don't worry. You featured largely in her records. She cared a great deal for you. That is not something that a body will simply forget."

At these last words, a moan resounds from the second man's throat, helpless and anguished. I recall this sound. I've heard it before. Doesn't it mean pleasure?

No, this one sounds different. He's in pain.

"Don't be upset, Violet, she should come around shortly. It's only been three days."

"I killed her," The one named Violet says miserably. "I can't believe it. It was so messy."

"On the contrary, it was quite a clean cut. She'll hardly even have a scar, boy."

Violet... I know who Violet is. I know him. An image is conjured to the front of my mind of a pale man, with cold lilac eyes and long black hair. I think he likes me.

The roughness of the hand that is holding mine is familiar - it's his. It's heavy, with callouses. He's an artist, isn't he? He draws. And that's why his hands are bumpy.

"You're sure she'll remember me?"

"Yes, I'm sure." Slight impatience in the other's voice, the one that's not Violet. What's his name?

All I can see are flashes of grey in my mind.

"Undertaker," Violet chokes out again, and I jolt. That's it! He even looks like an Undertaker, I remember him now. "Shit, she moved."

"She's starting to wake." Barely contained excitement in Undertaker's voice. "She'll come back to you in a moment, Violet. Just give her time."

All of a sudden, a completely heaviness presses onto me, like a blanket soaked in water. It hurts like nothing I've ever felt before in my life. I groan loudly, my stiff limbs seizing together.

"Oh, Christ, is she in pain? Do something."

"I can't do anything. We must let nature run its course."

"But this isn't natural. What if something goes wrong? What happens?"

Silence. Violet speaks again, sharper this time.

"Undertaker, what happens?"

"Give her time to wake up, Violet," Undertaker snarls, and there is no more warmth in his voice. Violet is quiet.

The pain is still there. I whimper and flex against my bonds, trying to break free - it feels like maybe, if I sit up, it will relieve come of the agony.