Chapter VIII : A Cold December

And our memories defeat us,

And I'll end this direst.

"This was an absolutely horrendous idea!" Violet yelped, stumbling, gripping onto the side of the rink while I roared with laughter.

Admittedly, I'd been a little bit... sceptical when he'd shown up at my door on this frosty December evening, ringing the doorbell exactly fifteen minutes after he was supposed to. Late, but at least it was a consistent number.

I opened the door, having been ready to go for the last quarter of an hour, eager to get outside and away from my overbearing mother - but once I saw Violet I stopped in my tracks. He was completely bundled up against the cold. His slim, tall form was wrapped in a knee length black coat, and he had a navy scarf wound around the lower half of his face. His pitch hair was ruffled by a pair of thick earmuffs sitting over his ears.

I could feel my face contort as I struggled not to laugh. I honestly did. But a small giggle escaped my lips as I stared at him. He just looked so... so...

Cute.

"Are you cold, my dear?" I asked, giving him a sweet smile.

"What?" Violet asked loudly, pulling one of the muffs from his ear. "I can't hear you, I'm sorry."

"Are you cold?" I repeated, stepping out over the threshold and shutting the oaken door behind me. I'd tried for something to match Violet today - a dusty purple dress and a dark, heavy overcoat.

"Incredibly." He wrinkled his nose in distaste and held out a hand - which was enclosed in a blue mitten. Oh, my goodness. "I cannot stand the cold, or the wet."

"Winter is a treacherous season for you," I hummed, wrapping my fingers around his. We began to walk, our steps in time together, very brisk. "I personally love the winter season, myself."

"You are insane," Violet scoffed, his disgusted look deepening. He very rarely had strong opinions on anything, but it seemed that this was one of those times. "This is some of the most unpleasant weather I have ever had the misfortune to experience."

"You're so very sad all of the time, Violet," I giggled, tucking my hand in the crook of his arm. "There are so many things to enjoy about life."

"It's either too hot, or too cold. Too hot and you're horribly sweaty and sticky; too cold, and you can't feel yourself inside of your body." A grumpy cough. "The weather is stupid."

"You're stupid -" I caught sight of the tip of his nose - it was bright red. "Are you ill?"

"It's just a little cold," he grumbled, burying his face deeper in his scarf again. No wonder he was less apathetic than usual - the sickness was probably making him fractious. "No cause of concern for you."

"You shouldn't be out if you have the flu," I said quietly, squeezing his arm. "We can just see each other next week."

"That won't be possible for what I have planned." Violet fisted the end of his scarf in his mittened hand, and coughed into it. "The area will have been cleared by then."

"Oh, really? What is it you have planned?" I questioned, letting my head rest on his shoulder. Violet had dragged me along to many places over the past two months, everything from libraries to art galleries. And I had enjoyed being with him - I honestly did. But it was very hard to keep my attention entirely in the present day when we were required to be silent for such a long time.

"Can't tell you," he grunted, clearing his throat.

"Aw, now," I complained, tugging on Violet's sleeve. "Share, please."