chapter 1

this chapter is dedicated to leechie girl for halping me with the title, ^_^ 

and also, thanks to Autumnflowers and sabby4me for their suggestions hehe!

______________________________________________________________________

She ignored the deep wound on her leg and marched on. It was 5:30 in the morning and they were having their usual morning march when she stumbled and landed on something sharp. She was automatically given a kicked and ordered to march on. She obediently got up and walked on. Pity did not exist in their limited list of emotions that they were allowed to feel. Or any other emotion a normal human was supposed to feel.

After an hours march they all gathered in the dining hall. Each one of them sat on the floor with a bowl of rice and vegetables each. Then, with a ring of a bell, everyone took the chop sticks and started eating. The hall was quite and the only sounds one could hear were the soft scraping of the wooden chopsticks against the wooden bowls and the occasional sniffs and coughs.

She ate quietly not making a sound. She gulped down the rice hungrily and drank her water. After she was done, she laid the bowl and her chopsticks next her but did not get up. No one allowed to get up until everyone was finished. From the corner of her eye she could see Madam Sayuri looking at her, she daren’t look at her so she kept her eyes down. However, the intense stare did not leave her. She checked herself making sure she was sitting in the right manner, which she was. Finally, she decided to take the risk and take a peek at Madam Sayuri. Her heart pounded in fear as Madam Sayuri was glaring right at her.

“Yuki. Come here.” came her silky voice.

However, Yuki was not fooled. Everyone in this ‘house’ knew that her melodic voice was the complete opposite of her personality. Yuki got up and went to her. Sayuri swiftly raised her hand and slapped her across the face. The children in the hall did not look and continued eating, they knew what would happen if they did.

Yuki stood still and said nothing, she was expecting it.

“Yuki, what did I tell you?” asked Sayuri.

“That I should only look at my teachers if I am being spoken to, madam Sayuri” she said swiftly.

“Correct and what did you do?’

“I looked at you even though I wasn’t spoken to, madam Sayuri.”

“That is right. Will you do it again?”

“No, madam Sayuri.”

“Alright, go back now my child.”

“Yes, madam Sayuri.”

Yuki bowed and walked back to her seat.

She was more careful for the rest of the day. Right after academic classes, they all ate and went to the training hall. Each one of them were given swords and assigned partners. They all took their positions and with the sound of a bell, the training began. Swords clashed, wounds created or worsened, cries of pain were heard and concentration strained. However, all this were common to their ears now. Master Chun watched silently as his students trained. His eyes wondered off toYuki. He clenched his teeth and silently cussed.

“Any progress?” came a voice beside him.

Chun looked and saw the head of the house next to him. He bowed before replying.

“Yes Madam Sayuri. They are all learning fast.”

“Good.”

Sayuri looked atYuki. She was fighting with her opponent, she easily dodged the sneaky blows and fought back, even though she was the only girl in the room assigned with a boy as a partner.