Chapter 7: Helpless Children of Natagumo

Shinobu POV

It's been two and a half months since the first meeting with Kibutsuji Muzan, and we've learned to work together. I discovered that Nakime mourned the deaths of my family along with everyone she killed every night, and she apologized over and over to me. I'm starting to rethink the fact that all demons are evil, and even starting to befriend Muzan and the upper moons. Me and Tomioka-san were just tasked with assisting some Kinoe on a mission on Mt. Natagumo, but after many hours of discussion with the demons, I've learned that this is the home of lower moon 5 Rui. Muzan told me not to harm him, and seeing as we're working together I have no reason to.

"Ne, Tomioka-san?" I ask.

"Yes Shinobu-san? What is it?" Tomioka responds. We've become more communicative lately, and although neither of us are great at showing emotion, we can see a bit of ourselves in each other and can get along.

"What are we going to do?" I question with worry, "we can't kill Rui, but Rui doesn't know what's going on."

"We'll just have to try our best then," Tomioka replies sullenly, "and Oyakata-sama and Kibutsuji-san said we can tell others bits of the situation only if it becomes absolutely necessary."

"I guess we'll just hope that everything works out," I comment with a hint of uncertainty.

We make our way up the mountain, gripping our nichirin blades tightly. We see the dead bodies of slayers littering the ground. Everything seems relatively empty, and it's unsettling. I stop quickly to help a wounded slayer, but I quickly return to Tomioka-san's side.

"Tomioka-san..." I murmur, "I hear fighting to the east." He nods his head and we descend to the battlefield. Before us we see Rui glaring at a terribly wounded Kinoe and a demon girl. It's an odd image, demons fighting demons. But although I would have immediately killed the girl, I instead have no urge to do anything of the sort.

"Tomioka-san, take the boy and the demon girl to Oyakata," I order, "I'll deal with lower moon five." Giyuu doesn't respond, but instead takes the girl and boy, and disappears quickly.

"Do you really think a weak slayer like you can kill a moon?" Rui asks me angrily.

"No, but that is not the concern," I reply calmly, not showing any emotion.

"Then I'll make this quick," Rui snaps, drawing his webs and sending them towards me, going for the kill.

"Give me a moment, would you!" I yell barely dodging.

"Why should I?" Rui asks cruelly.

"I've been ordered not to harm you, so this is all pointless," I say, trying to reason.

"And why should I believe that the master of the Hashira would order you not to kill a man eating demon who's killed thousands?" Asks Rui.

"Not Oyakata-sama..." I say, wondering if now is the right time to tell him the truth.

"Then who?" He asks, sending a near fatal blow my way. I don't have a choice.

"Muzan Kibutsuji," I state. For a second, it seems as if the forest is still, devoid of life completely.

"...What do you mean?" Rui asks, fear in his eyes. Then, I proceed to tell him everything of the past events and the course of action Muzan wishes to take. Rui thanks me, and leaves in a state of confusion and disbelief. As soon as I resolve the issue, I dash off to headquarters to find Tomioka-san.

•at headquarters•

"This kid travels with a demon?"

"Kyahhhh, how can they kill such a cute girl?"

"Bless their souls."

"How flamboyant."

"What a shame."

"I see...a cloud..."

"Let's kill her now!"

". . ."

"Ohaiyo! What's going on here?" I ask in mock confusion while Giyuu just sighs.

"This kinoe, Tanjiro Kamado, just flamboyantly went on a mission with his demon sister!" Tengen exclaims, "we're debating what fate awaits them." Before I can respond, Sanemi stabs the box with the demon girl in it and before I know what I'm doing, I stop him.

"Ara ara, Shinazugawa-san, just what do you think you're doing without the master's approval?" I ask with a bright but forced smile.

"Back off Kocho," Sanemi growls with hatred.

"And what if I don't?" I ask with a laugh.

"Greetings my children," Kagaya says, making his appearance, "what are you doing?"

"Ah, forgive me, Oyakata-sama," Sanemi says.

"It's alright, my child," speaks Kagaya kindly.

"But I must prove to you that this girl is pure evil!" Sanemi then opens the door to the box and slits his arm, causing his marechi blood to spill out. The girl steps out of the box hungrily, but restrains herself from eating his flesh.

"It appears that Nezuko Kamado bears no hostile intent," says Kagaya with a smile, "meeting adjourned. And Shinobu, would you mind taking care of the Kinoe?"

A/N: Once I finish updating here, my works will be available on ao3 as well in about a week!