Chapter 21

"Wakey, wakey, sleepy head," came a voice. Am I dreaming? I don’t think so. The voice sounds very familiar. I tried to open my eyes but I couldn’t.

I finally opened them and the light hit directly into my eyes. I slowly sat up. My body felt heavy and it ached like hell. I felt like going back to sleep. There's someone standing near the window. It's Ariana.

"Can I sleep a little longer?" I asked as I yawned. Stretching my arms is hard and painful, so I didn't even try.

"I know what you mean," came her voice. My eyes are still so sleepy that everything looks blurry. "But I'm afraid I’ve to get you ready for today. So, if you don’t mind..."

I muttered in frustration as I tried to move the bed covers aside. I groaned, both in pain and frustration. I hear footsteps and knew Ariana is coming to help. But somehow, I managed to get a big portion of the covers aside.

"Thank goodness," said Ariana as I looked at her through tired eyes. "I thought I would've have to carry you to the bathroom outside."

"I'm fine," I said.

She held out her hand for me to hold on to as I got out of bed.

"There's a bathroom here?" I asked as I stared at the door.

"Looks like you were in a hurry to get out instead of looking around you in detail yesterday," Ariana teased.

The two of us walked out of the room and just right next to my bedroom door is another. She opened it for me, and as expected, I didn't find myself in a modern day bathroom. There's a large wooden tub, that looked like a bucket in the middle of the room, big enough to fit two to three people. And it's full of hot steaming water. Am I really going to bath in that?

"Don't worry," Ariana said as she closed the door behind me. "I'll be nice and gentle."

"I doubt that," I muttered to myself as I approach the huge bucket. I sure hope so.

After my nice, warm, relaxing bath, I am back in my room, all dressed up in a long, black, 19th century dress, like the ones most of the females wore around here. I wish they could've given me in another colour, it did look good on me.

"Wow, just stunning," said Ariana as she stood behind me, holding my shoulders and looking in the mirror hung on the wall next to the wardrobe. There wasn't a full-length mirror here yesterday, so I was surprised when I came back from the bathroom that Ariana had brought one.

"It's really nice," I commented.

"I know, right," Ariana couldn't help but giggle. "It really brings out your lovely skin colour."

A knock came at the door and Ariana quickly went to open it. The young nurse from last night came in with a tray.

"Good morning, Ariana," she greeted as she entered the room. She turned towards me still standing in front of the mirror. "Morning. Well, you look stunning today."

"Thank you," I said as I slowly turned around to approach the bed. The nurse already placed the tray on the table and I saw a white ceramic bowl and what looked like porridge in it.

"Breakfast is served," the young nurse announced. "We'll bring your medicine for you to take before you leave."

She quickly left the room, closing the door behind her.

"You better eat up," said Ariana.

"Do I have to continue drinking that medicine?" I asked as I approached the small table and looked at the small bowl filled with white porridge.