1

Walking up the stairs with your box of supplies, you couldn't help but feel nervous. How could you not? It was your first day at your new job! What if you made a bad first impression? What if you don't make any friends? What if your coworkers are mean?!

You began to console yourself in your mind,
'No! Don't think like that, I'm not in high school anymore!'

'You are (f/n) (l/n), you are an amazing person, and everyone should think so!'

'Wait, that sounded too egotistical...'

But there was no more time to prepare, as you walked into the office, you were greeted by your boss, who introduced you to your coworkers.

"This is (l/n) (f/n), he'll be working with us from now on,"

He patted your back, signifying you to introduce yourself,
"I'm gonna be focusing on taking photos for articles, promotional images, everything of the sort. I hope to work well with you all!"

Your boss seemed a tad distressed though, and you began to get nervous. What if he didn't mean to hire you, and he just realized it?!

You scanned the room, and suddenly felt out of place. You panic-whispered to your boss,
"There aren't any other photographers here!"

He gave you an apologetic look,
"You're the only in-house photographer we have, at the moment I'm afraid,"

You slumped over in defeat,
"So you're saying I won't get my own desk? I was kinda looking forward to decorating it..."

He slapped your back lightheartedly as he laughed,
"Ha! You're definitely a panicky one! Of course you'll have a desk. See that lonely man over there at the big table? Weird hair?"

You tried finding him, but you must've forgotten your seeing eyes, or were too anxious, because for the life of you he seemed to be invisible. Your boss seemed to take notice.

"Kuroo, stand up please! Your desk neighbor can't find you!"

A tall dark haired man stood up from his desk, a wide grin displayed on his face as he waved to you.
"Hey there!"

You were a bit embarrassed, but walked over to him none the less.

Kuroo held his hand out to you,
"Kuroo Tetsuro, nice to meet you!"

You struggled to shake his hand, still holding your box of items. He laughed like a hyena, quickly helping you set your box down,
"I think it'd be much easier to shake my hand if you'd put that ginormous box down,"

His joking personality helped you feel less anxious, but made you afraid for what he'd be like if angered. The happy ones are always the scariest!

"Anyways, here's your side of the desk, and here's mine! Feel free to decorate as you like,"

Much to his surprise, your side of the desk was already decked out with plants, both fake and real, pictures of your family, and figures.

He stared at you for a moment, making you explain embarrassedly,
"Sorry!"

He laughed reassuringly,
"No no, it's fine! I was just surprised at how little time that took you,"

A slight blush on your face, you sat down on your chair,
"Yeah, I kind of got super focused on it for a moment there,"

He sat down in his chair as well, giving you another smile,
"I think it looks nice!"

You returned his smile,
"Thanks!"

You spent a lot of time going through the training programs, which were mainly just informative videos on workplace conduct, followed by a short quiz. The hours went by, and soon enough it was your lunch break.

Kuroo stood up from his side of the desk,
"Hey, wanna eat together? There's a nice balcony nearby that's amazing to eat at!"

The hopeful look in his eyes was almost adorable. Wait, adorable?! What the hell, you're not supposed to think of your coworkers like that! Especially not on your first day!

"Helloooo? Earth to (l/n)?"

His voice shook you from your thoughts,
"Ah, sorry Kuroo-senpai. Sure, I'll eat with you,"

You grabbed your lunch and headed out to the balcony with him, and you had to admit, the view was pretty nice.

He swallowed his food before asking,
"So tell me a bit about yourself,"

Finishing your drink, you began,
"Well, I went to high school in [random place], and got pretty into photography then. After that, I went to [random college] and got a degree in photography and minored in journalism,"

"So why'd you choose to work here?"

You answered him immediately, already having prepared it in advance.
"[you get to decide]"

You snickered a bit at your response, which you decided to ignore. You wanted to ask him about his past, but your lunch break had already ended, and he had to make some phone calls.

Kuroo was very relieved to have another friend in the office. Even though his job let him talk with his high school friends pretty often, it was still nice to have someone to joke with in the office.

He'd been starting to feel a little lonely as well, as a lot of the other employees found him a bit intimidating, reducing his interactions with them.

At the end of the day he invited you to the company drinking party but you politely declined, not wanting to be hungover on your second day of work. Although he was a bit disappointed, he understood.

It was the next day, and Kuroo started to question where his nervous junior desk mate went, as it seemed as though all of your anxiety from the previous day had disappeared. You seemed strangely confident compared to the day before, even joking comfortably with your other coworkers.

Jokes on him, you were just hiding it all! Your special talent. A part of you was still a jumble of nerves, but another part of you was as confident as could be, and that's the side you'd be bringing to work until the end of time.

"Ah, Kuroo-senpai, I have something for you!"

Curious as to what he'd be getting, he watched as you pulled a small plant out of your bag. On closer inspection, it was plastic, but seemed to be similar to the ones that littered your side of the desk.

"Now we match!" You said, placing the tiny plant next to his monitor.

He thanked you for the gift, and the two of you went on with your day.

_____________________
HELLO THERE ANOTHER ADULT HAIKYUU X MREADER BOOK BECAUSE THERE ARENT THAT MANY OUT THERE AND I NEED TO SUPPLY THE FIVE PEOPLE (me included) WHO ARE INTO THAT