Chapter Eight | I'm Quitting Life Tomorrow |

I WAS SITTING IN MY CELL AWAKE in the middle of the night. I leaned against the wall and Johanna kicked me. As we were both of the female gender, they stuck us into the same cell with Annie and Peeta into the adjoining one.

    “Ouch,” I said, blankly, and she groaned.

    “I know this Althea depression. It’s your ‘I’m quitting life tomorrow’ depression.” She said, and I looked at her.

    “So?”

    “You cannot get yourself killed and leave me alone with crazy over there! I know she’s Finnick’s girlfriend, but c’mon, you are my only reason for living right now Althea! You cannot quit because then I would quit, and I really don’t wanna quit right now!” Johanna ranted, and I nodded slowly.

    “Look, just go to sleep. Please?” She asked, and I nodded, suddenly feeling overwhelmingly tired.

    A dream washed over me, not quite a soothing one.

    It started with Katniss. Katniss talking to Haymitch, Finnick, and Plutarch. Haymitch explained it all to Katniss. Everything about the rebellion and what happened in the arena.

   By the end, she seemed more hurt than shocked. “You didn’t tell me,” Her voice sounded ragged.

    “Neither you nor Peeta were told. We couldn't risk it,” Plutarch said. "I was even worried you might mention my indiscretion with the watch during the Games." He pulled out a mockingjay watch. “Of course, when I showed you this, I was merely tipping you off about the arena. As a mentor. I thought it might be a first step toward gaining your trust. I never dreamed you'd be a tribute again.”

    “I still don't understand why Peeta and I weren't let in on the plan,” Katniss said.

    “Because once the force field blew, you'd be the first ones they'd try to capture, and the less you knew, the better,” Haymitch said.

    “The first ones? Why?”

    “For the same reason the rest of us agreed to die to keep you alive,” Finnick said.

    “No, Johanna and Althea tried to kill me.”

    “Johanna knocked you out to let Althea cut the tracker from your arm and lead Brutus and Enobaria away from you,” Haymitch said.

    “What? I don't know what you're-”

    “We had to save you because you're the mockingjay, Katniss,” Plutarch said. “While you live, the revolution lives.”

    “Peeta,” She whispered.

    “The others kept Peeta alive because if he died, we knew there'd be no keeping you in an alliance,” Haymitch said. “And we couldn't risk leaving you unprotected."

    “Where is Peeta?”

    “He was picked up by the Capitol along with Johanna, Althea, and Enobaria.”

    Nobody, especially me, expected the door to swing open. It was Percy and the rest of the seven, I assumed. It’s been so long since I saw him, just in my dreams, not dying. It was soothing even if he looked livid.

    “Where is Althea?” He snapped, clutching Riptide in its pen form in his shaking hand.

    “Who are-?” Haymitch tried to say, but he shoved him back.

    “I’m Percy Jackson, Hero of Olympus, son of Poseidon, I’m looking for Althea Aelius, I’m certain you know the one.”

    “You’re the Percy?” Katniss asked, but Percy ignored her.