Chapter Six | Like Clockwork |

THE MONKEY DIDN'T SEE MY KNIFE coming. I managed to get it out of my belt in time to slam into the monkey’s throat, however, the monkey did manage to knock me off my feet.

    Katniss ran out of arrows as well and shouted out, “Peeta! Your arrows!”

    Peeta was pulling his arrows off his shoulder when a monkey launched towards him. I groaned. If I died right now, I doubt anyone would really care, especially with me not knowing the current condition of Percy.

    I ran towards them with my knife prepared for a fight, when the female morphling threw herself in front of Peeta. The monkey sank its fangs into her chest. I stabbed with my knife and tossed the monkey aside.

    “Come on, then! Come on!” Peeta yelled, the anger evident in his voice, but the monkey’s went back into the trees.

    “Get her,” Katniss said to Peeta. “We’ll cover you.”

    We were prepared for more monkeys, but they were gone. Only the dead remained. We went back to Peeta, and Katniss examined the morphling’s wounds. There was nothing she could do though. You didn’t need magic to know that that woman was going to die in a few short moments.

    “I’ll watch the trees,” Finnick said, and I nodded and joined him.

    We were picking up the arrows from the fight when I realized that Finnick was sad. Makes sense. I mean, Mags, the woman who practically raised him, died. Only a few hours ago too. After all the times Finnick at least tried to make me smile, it wouldn’t hurt to do the same for him.

    “Hey,” I said, slowly. “Don’t be sad. Because every minute that you’re sad, you lose sixty seconds of happiness.”

    He chuckled before frowning, “Hey wait, I said that to you before!”

    I shrugged. “It worked. For a moment at least.”

    I cleaned the arrows and put twelve in my sheath, and gave twelve to Finnick to hold for Katniss. I started to hum agitatedly. It’s been…what? Two days since I had my last ADHD pill? I was even more irritable without and had a harder time thinking before I acted. Pretty sure that would help no one like me more.

    I kicked a tree, and Finnick stifled a laugh. “I feel like jumping off a cliff.” I said, and he chuckled.

    “Well, don’t do that.” Finnick advised, wisely.

    “I didn’t say I was gonna do it, I said I felt like it.” I said, folding my arms.

    “C’mon, let’s head back to the others.” He said, walking ahead of me.

    We rejoined them, and Finnick forked over the arrows. “Thought you might want these,” He said, and I smirked.

    “Thanks,” She said before going into the water.

    We were chilling on the sand while Katniss washed up, when the vines shifted, covering the monkeys’ bodies. I shot up, bow ready, when the vines shifted again, revealing the missing bodies of the monkeys. Oh. It was just the gamemakers.

    Katniss came to shore and asked, “Where did they go?”

    “The gamemakers, I guess.” I said, sitting up. “The vines shifted, then they were gone.”

    The places from the fog began to scab over, hurting and itching. To keep myself from itching, I tapped my right pointer finger against each finger on my left to keep my hand busy from scratching.

    “Don’t scratch,” Katniss said as my finger tapping had distracted me more than just from itching.

    “Scratching carries infection.” I said, vaguely.