Chapter 19 - After the War

Bright, blurry lights flooded my vision, and I could feel what seemed like a hand gently holding my head. Someone was kneeling beside me. I couldn't see their face just yet, but I saw a splash of blue and immediately knew who it was.

"What...happened?" I groaned weakly, squinting at a hazy version of Ike's face. "Am I...am I dead?"

Upon hearing my voice, Ike's gaze softened. "No," he said quietly.

I sat up slowly, feeling my head begin to hurt as my senses returned to normal. "I'm...I'm not?" I asked, giving him a confused glance.

The blue haired general shook his head. "No. You were very close to it, though. But...whatever you did...was amazing," he smiled at me, loosely supporting my back to make sure I was stable.

"Wait...what did I even do?" I asked. All I could remember was a mess of lights, warmth, and voices, but I could see now that there were masses of Crimean soldiers circling around something I couldn't fully see, and none of them were fighting. That meant something must have happened.

"I don't know, I've never seen anything like it," Ike replied. "It looked sort of like that one spell you used at the collapsed tower. But...this seemed ten times stronger. And it was probably the reason the scales tipped in our favor."

Everything he said matched up with the ultimate version of my spell, Feigr, but I was never able to master it before. Not even back when I was on the island. As strange as that was, I was in no position to figure it out at that moment. My side was still throbbing (even though it had clearly been healed), and my head pain would only ease up a little if I rubbed it. And aside from the pain, I couldn't help but focus on the nearby circle of soldiers.

They were talking quietly amongst each other, and something big was stirring in the center. Eager to see what was happening, I tried to stand up, but I was still too weak to do it myself. So, Ike helped me up and supported my wobbling self as we approached the scene.

There was a gap between some of the people, so we pushed our way through to the inner circle. In the center was the king's mount crouched on the ground and breathing heavily. At first, I was scared that it would spring up from its perch and wreak havoc on the lot of us, but I quickly figured out how misunderstood I was. The dragon's demonic exterior meant nothing when one look into its yellow, glassy eyes told me that it was innocent, and just wanted to be left in peace.

All of a sudden, a pink-haired dragon laguz dashed through the crowd toward the mount with great concern warping her soft features.

"Ena!" Ike shouted at the girl. "Stay back!"

Then, the pale-blue-haired dragon laguz from earlier stepped in. "Ike...let them be."

Temporarily silenced, Ike raised an eyebrow. "Nasir, what's going on?" he asked, confused.

Nasir lowered his gaze. "That dragon...is actually her mate. With his death near, and his sanity regained, he is no longer a threat to any of us."

Despite the laguz's intelligent response, Ike looked even more perplexed than before. "Do dragon laguz...mate...with wyvern mounts?"

Nasir inhaled sharply, but before he could answer Ike's question, Reyson made an abrupt appearance along with a heron woman I had never met before.

From where I was, I could barely hear the heron woman speak. Her voice was soft, like a calm breeze, but I could still tell that she was talking in the ancient tongue. She was saying something about how the dragon mount was actually a laguz, and that she wanted to try singing to it.

They want to sing to it? I thought. But that can only mean...

The two herons began singing the Galdr of Rebirth. And just like with the warped lion laguz, the dragon mount became enveloped in a warm, pure light that obscured its transformation back into a humanoid. When the light faded, there was a man lying still on the cold, stone surface where the mount once was. He looked so weak and lifeless, but yet, so at peace as the toxic energy evaporated from his system.