Chapter 13 - The Plot Thickens

At the break of dawn the next day, there was someone repeatedly knocking on the door to my room, which was a terrifying way to wake up. I spazzed, completely messing up the flimsy blue sheets that covered me. After realizing the chaotic mess I had made, I picked up on the faint sound of some fuzzball outside trying his best not to laugh (he failed).

"Raaaaaanulf!" I croaked. It was so early in the morning that my voice wasn't even ready to cooperate with me.

"Today is drug bust day!" Ranulf exclaimed. "Let's go! We get to find out who's behind all this!"

The excitement of finally discovering the root of the bandit attacks and everything that had been tormenting me was sufficient to rouse me. However, I realized there was an equally good chance that we would leave that tower the same way we concluded all of our other investigations: without any further leads, still yearning to find the next piece of the puzzle. Regardless, I was more than eager to go forth at the mere prospect of concluding our search. But at the same time, I was absolutely terrified. I mean, if Gritnea Tower was truly the source of that foul substance, I didn't even want to imagine the kinds of people, or possibly even the monstrosities, that would be defending that place.

"Serena! Your boy wants us moving as soon as possible, so sleeping all day like yesterday isn't gonna fly!" he barked. "If you don't move in ten seconds, I'm gonna come in and move you myself!"

My boy?! I hurled myself outside my mess of a bed, yanked open the door, and flopped down on the stone floor in front of Ranulf's boots. "You know what, just because you said that, I'd love to see you try getting me to move now," I smirked, waiting to see if he was bluffing or not.

With a grin, the laguz squatted down in front of me and hoisted me up onto his back without a second thought. "I warned you!" he laughed. The troops were almost ready to leave, so Ranulf hurriedly carried me outside the fort and over to the front of the small group of people.

"I'd love to see you fight like this, too then!" I joked. Not gonna lie though, I quite enjoyed being a little lazy, so it was an interesting suggestion that I gave almost no thought to.

He stopped. "Wait. You've got some good ideas, Serena. We can be a single superpowered unit who can maul people AND use magic! Brilliant!"

I never should have opened my mouth, I thought, sighing and letting my arm droop over his other shoulder. "I was being facetious, Ranulf. If we were to actually do that, I have a feeling it would end really badly," I said, haphazardly messing with one of his pointy ears as they twitched to my reply.

"Why?"

"Well, if someone lands a hit, both of us will get injured. Not to mention it's harder for me to aim when I have no idea where I'm moving next." I paused as I felt Ranulf begin playing with my limp fingers. "I could go on."

"Nah, it could totally work." His sky blue ears and tail perked up as he imagined us fighting like that. "Think about it!"

"Enlighten me."

"One, I rarely get hit. Two, you're as light as a heron feather. Three, I can tell you who to attack and when." Even though I couldn't see his face, I just knew he had a smug grin plastered on it.

I muttered unintelligible syllables as I tried to come up with a rebuttal, but I had no choice but to acquiesce. "Fine, you win. But this had better not go south or it's on you."

Once we reached the front of the small bunch of fighters, Ike did a blatant double take when he saw us and hurried over. For the first time in my life, I was at eye level with the boy. "Uh...what are you two doing?" he asked, shifting his focus between me and Ranulf.