IV - The Quarry

Before the sun even came up, Lucy was dressed for the day and out the door. She pulled half her hair up in a yellow bow and left the rest down, allowing its slight waves to rest. She had her backpack already, so she figured she would just go to Mike's house to be 'briefed on the plan', as Lucas had put it the night prior. The first thing she did, even before making her way to the Wheelers, was stop by RadioShack. She had pulled all the money that Steve had paid her from the past two months for doing his English essays together so she could buy the newest Realistic TRC-series Walkie Talkie. Dustin told her to get one so that way she could talk to them without actually being with them. After buying the communicator, Lucy had a left over twenty dollars and smiled. Throughout September and October she had written four different essays for Steve, making her a total of fifty two dollars, thirteen for each one.

The girl walked up to the Wheeler house with her new walkie in her bag, lightly knocking on the door only for Mrs. Wheeler to open it with Holly on her hip. "Oh, hello sweetheart! What are you doing here so early?"

"I was hoping Mike was here?"

"He's in the basement. Please, come in." Mrs. Wheeler pulled the door further open, allowing the young girl to walk in. Lucy took her shoes off, placing them neatly by the door and went toward the basement. Karen's heart nearly melted at the brunette's manners, none of her kids' friends had ever taken their shoes off at the door like that before and it made her smile.

"Hi guys!" Lucy waved, hopping down the steps. Eleven was on the couch, playing with Mike's super-com, the three boys were in a circle.

Mike waved her over quickly, waiting to go over the plan until she was close enough. "We just tell our parents we have AV Club after school. That'll give us at least a few hours for Operation Mirkwood."

"You seriously think that the weirdo knows where Will is?" Lucas asked.

"Just trust me on this, okay?"

"Okay."

"Did you get the supplies?"

"Yeah. Binoculars. . .from 'Nam." He pulled out a pair, "Army knife, also from 'Nam." He placed them both on the table. "Hammer, camouflage bandana. . .and, the wrist rocket." He smiled when he pulled the last item from his backpack.

"You're gonna take out the Demogorgon with a slingshot?"

"First of all, it's a wrist rocket. And second of all, the Demogorgon's not real. It's made up." Lucas scoffed. "But, if there is something out there, I'm gonna shoot it in the eye. . ." He snapped the rocket, "And Blind it."

"That won't work." Lucy said.

"Why not? How do you know it won't work." Lucas snapped at her.

"I saw it." Lucy mumbled, all three of their heads whipped to look at her. "It's big. . .like seven feet, maybe eight? It's pale and it's lanky. And- And it doesn't have a face. . .Well it has a mouth- But it has no eyes or- or a nose. . .and when it opens its mouth, it's like a flower with rows and rows of teeth. . .It took my friend's sister. Uhm- Barb. Right in front of me." She scratched at her arm.

"When?" Mike yelled.

"Last night, while my brother's friends were over. He didn't believe me." She muttered, still shaken up by it. The boy with the cap pulled her into an awkward hug, seeing how nervous she was.

Mike sighed, "Dustin, what did you get?"

He let go of Lucy, picking up his backpack and dumping a snack haul onto the table. "Alrighty. So, we've got; Nutty Bars, Bazooka, Pez, Smarties, Pringles, Nilla Wafers, apple, banana, and trail mix." He smiled, the brunette girl beside him started to laugh.