1.

ONE YEAR LATER

He held her close, making her body feel the way mine would each night. His skin was warm on her skin, he was charming and endearing to her. She gave him things he felt he couldn't get anywhere else, from anyone else. At that moment it was just the two of them, I was no longer a thought in their minds, or held a place in their hearts, I was but a gust of wind that blew through for a moment. Her moans enticed his mind and excited his body, everything he thought he wanted had vanished that night. The image he held of me, was replaced by her. As I stood there at a standstill I knew what was supposed to be, what had been, was officially over. What did she have that I didn't? What made her heart the heart he decided to hold?

The alarm sounded, breaking her from her reverie. The light of dawn seeped into her room, morning had finally come, and work was a few hours away. Turning over and facing the left side of her bed where he once laid, Harper  sighed a breath of defeat. She'd done it again, stayed up all night replaying the moment everything in her life flipped upside down. The ride to work was always the same, slow and exhausting. It was Mid-October in New York and fall was living its best life in the city. It was still only forty-six degrees so she'd worn her all black puffer jacket and Coach boots. She walked into the building, flashing her badge before bypassing the security guard. He waved and gave a soft smile, something she never cared to notice.

The 23rd floor was already bustling with noise as she stepped off the elevator and made her way to her cubicle. Harper worked as a fashion designer for Daaria Jackson, world-renowned fashion enthusiast. Daaria was part of an elite society outside the four walls of Glitz & Glamour. Mixing it up with some of the world's largest designers, Chanel, YSL, Dior, Christian Louboutin, and the list goes on. Working for her was not only a dream come true for Harper but it was an opportunity to showcase just how passionate she was about her craft. The only problem was that Harper didn't feel seen, after 3 years of dedicating so much of her effort and time she still had not been given her respect. It was one sketch after another for her and she was ready to create not just on paper but on mannequins. Between working her ass off constantly for a boss who undervalued her and dealing with her old-but-still-new-to-her relationship status, she knew it was time for a change.

*****

Lunch had become a pastime that she didn't care about seeing as how she rarely had an appetite most days, but she knew she had to eat something before the demon in her stomach became even more aggressive. She had packed a turkey sandwich that she hadn't finished the night before, adding all her favorite condiments to it. Before she's able to take a bite of the meaty hoagie her flamboyant and oh-so-fabulous coworker and best friend Gregory comes around the corner. His silky emerald green button-down shirt is complimenting gold tapered slacks and his favorite red bottom loafers. He had received them as a birthday gift from Mr. Louboutin himself, he was very proud.

"Well well well, if it isn't my favorite girl. How are you holding up? You know we can still go waiting to exhale on his ass just say the word. I've been waiting to get my Angela Bassett on."

She laughed. Sometimes he knew just what to say to cheer her up. Between her job and personal life, she needed someone like Gregory to lighten the load.

"I stayed up all night replaying that night in my mind again. So I guess I'm just…holding. Holding on to every memory." The look on her face was solemn.

"Oh, honey you gotta stop torturing your mind like that. You need some adventure, some quality time with just you and wine, of course."

"Amen to that! Maybe you're right I just–"

Their conversation is cut short by Daaria who is raising her voice at her assistant, Lana. One thing Daaria disliked more than last season's attire was incompetent employees. Harper listened carefully as did everyone else in the office as Daaria degraded her assistant for some undisclosed reason. Everyone watched in shock except Gregory, Harper nudged him, he knew something everyone else didn't. He'd been bumped up to Senior Fashion Editor for a year and now knew all about the upcoming events before anyone else, besides Daaria, of course. The commotion settled as everyone went back to minding their own business. Harper looked back to Gregory still waiting for him to spill whatever tea he had.

"So….What was that all about?" She inquired.

"Letitia Wright, honey. She needs to be styled for her red carpet movie premiere and Stephanie is not thrilled with the looks she's been given by Lana.  And neither was Letitia. You didn't hear it from me but word around the office is Ms. famous skinny mini isn't just letting anyone around here work with her. After she saw the hot mess Lana presented, her people called Daaria directly, honey. So if it's not the best, don't even bother. Lana designed something in…pink, highlighter hot pink! It was hideous."

"Hmm." Was all she said, her brain racing at the thought of creating an outfit herself. I mean what did she have to lose? She was already 3 years in with barely any recognition from Daaria. Gregory was the only coworker she had who supported her design goals. She knew that styling a celebrity of this caliber would be a damn good look for her, and for the company…but mostly for her. Without a second thought, she eyed Gregory, a smirk spreading across her face.

"Uh oh, I know that look. What's playing in that brain of yours?" His question is rhetorical. She knew that he knew exactly what was happening and what was to follow.

"What if I styled her? I've been working my ass off for a moment like this, G. You know that! And going to L.A. would be just the mental break I need, I can't wake up another day in that cold empty bed. If Lana isn't pulling her weight. Well…"

"Harper, honey I love you, you're like the awkward little sister I've always wanted but I'd advise you to leave it up to them. The last thing you want is a bad rep around here. Courtney flopped styling Harry Styles for the Grammys last year and she's been in that corner cubicle ever since matching fabrics. It's hard to look at. I purposely take the left elevator just so I don't have to walk by the poor girl. It's like I'm mocking her with my beautiful office, that the sun happens to hit perfectly." He quipped.

Harper shook her head, rolling her eyes at how arrogant that remark was.

"You're horrible. Do better." She said. Gregory shrugged.

The two peeked their heads over her cubicle, eyeing Courtney as she methodically placed different fabrics into their rightful bins.

"Trust me, honey. You do not want to become a Courtney. It's dreary over there." Gregory says, pointing to the corner once again where Courtney sat. "I believe in you, I know you can slay. But I'm not who you need to impress. If Daaria even scoffs at your design that's basically the end of the road for you. For three years you've been able to just slip through the cracks, I'd leave it that way." He stated.

"I'm done "slipping through cracks", I deserve to show off my skills. I can't stay in this little cubicle for another year drawing sketches, I'll die. I'm not Courtney, I'm Harper and unlike her, I know what I deserve to be doing in this place. Daaria will see, and so will everyone else."

She turned her chair, getting another look at her boss pacing the full glass-door office while her assistant tried to calm her down before realizing exactly what she was going to do.

"I'm going to style Letitia's red carpet look."