1 ~ Rings

Y/N POV

If someone had told me ten years ago that the love of my life would be down on one knee, a ruby ring presented tentatively in front of her, while on vacation in Italy...I would have called them a fucking moron.

Because why would I believe someone that would say I'd get the chance to be with my first love, the girl that stopped my world and has the prettiest smile I've ever seen? That's not something I thought I'd ever get, much less deserve.

And why would I believe that she would take me back after all the bullshit we've been through, just to get down on one knee a month later with a gorgeous ring, the July birthstone on display sparkling almost as brightly as her eyes? July...the month that I could finally call her mine and yell it to the world.

Why would I believe that something this wonderful could ever happen to me...someone that loses people so often that I expect it now. What's stopping the world from taking her away the minute I reply to her?

Well...I wouldn't believe it. Like I said, I'd call that person a fucking moron because all the odds were stacked against us yet here we are and I can't think enough to answer. I wasn't expecting this at all.

"Bug? Um...will you? Will you marry me?" Lizzie's soft voice brings me back into my body and I shake my head to get my brain to work.

I open and close my mouth a few more times before I can croak out an answer and I watch as the stars slowly dim in her eyes. Fuck. Speak, Y/N!

"Yes...yes Lizzie...god yes." I sigh out the breath I didn't know I was holding and smile when she jumps up, her smile so bright it blinds me.

Her lips are on mine before I can even think through what just happened but the longer she kisses me, the more my body warms and the more my heart feels like it's going to burst out of my chest. Holy shit...is this really happening?

"Are you sure?" She mumbles against my lips before pulling further away to look into my eyes, our foreheads pressed together. "I know it's soon but is it really? I mean it's been so long. I know you and my heart knows you and I know it's you. I know you're the one I'm meant to spend the rest of my life with and I can't just pretend like this isn't what I've wanted since the moment I kissed you for the first time. But maybe it is too soon, maybe we just got each other back and we still need to figure things out and maybe...maybe this isn't what you want." She rambles a mile a minute that I don't even register most of what she's saying.

"Whoa whoa...Sunshine. Slow down, I can't even follow what you're saying." I tease and she sighs, a small grin on her lips.

"Are you sure?" She repeats. I can see the anxiety in her eyes as she waits for me to answer again.

I can't help but smile as my body catches up to what is happening and I nod.

"I'm sure. I'd waited ten years for this...I don't want to wait anymore." I assure her and kiss her softly.

"9 years." She softly corrects before slowly pecking my lips.

"Oh, same difference." I tease and return the soft kiss.

"May I put the ring on you, my love?" She whispers and my stomach flips. The ring.

"Please." I agree and lean back a little to hold out my left hand. She unclenches her hand around the box to open it again and I gasp at the ring. It's beautiful.

 It's beautiful