20- That Day

--- the year of 817, Grisha's backstory ---

"Hurry, Fay! We'll lose it unless we're fast!" Grisha says as he looks at his younger sister.

"Wait up, Grisha!" Fay shouts as she runs towards Grisha.

"You two stop right there" the two's mother says as she walks to the two of them, "I told you not to forget your armbands when you go outside. Grisha, you must absolutely not leave the walls".

"I got it, Mum!" Grisha says happily as he and Fay run outside.

"We'll be back!" Fay says as she waves to their Mum.

"Come on!" Grisha says as he grabs Fay's hand.

When I first thought as to how I should start my story, I immediately thought of that day.

"Hey!" Fay says as she looks up at the large airship above them, "oh, it's leaving. Must be nice. Someday when I'm rich, will I be able to ride in an airship like that too?".

"What are you talking about? There's no way either of us will get rich" Grisha says as he looks at Fay.

"Yeah. But it must be nice" Fay says as she looks down, "I wonder what we could see from up there".

"Let's go, Fay!" Grisha says as he grabs Fay's hand and the two of them run into the place where the airship went, "my teacher said the airships land and take off from here. Let's go see!".

"What? But Mum said we're not to go outside the walls!" Fay says worriedly.

"It'll be fine! Just for a bit!" Grisha says as he looks forward, "we'll be right back!".

"Hey, get back here!" one of the guards says as Grisha and Fay run straight by him.

That naïve day of my youth... when I... had to face the truth of this world.

The two of them make it into the much nicer part of town as they both start to get strange looks for their armbands.

"What? More devil bloods?" a gentleman asks as he looks at the two of them, "damn Eldians crawling around everywhere as they please".

"Grisha" Fay says as she looks at Grisha.

"It's alright. Aren't you used to it?" Grisha asks as she looks at Fay, "look. It's right over that bank".

The two of them make it over the bank and gasp in awe of the view that they see.

"It's so big!" Fay says in awe.

"Have you come to see the airship, too?" a guard asks as he and his colleague approach the two of them.

"Huh? Oh yes" Grisha says as he looks at the man.

"Are you from the Liberio Internment Zone? Let's see your exit permit" the man says as he looks at the two of them.

"I don't have one" Grisha says worriedly.

"You entered the city without permission?" the man asks as he adjusts his hat, "you know that means, right?".

"Yes" Grisha says as the man comes over to the two of them.

"Labour or a beating? Which one?" the man asks as he kneels down in front of them.

"A beating" Grisha says calmly.

"Grisha!" Fay says as she looks at Grisha.

"Oh? You don't want to trouble your parents?" the man asks as he tilts his head.

"Yes. I forced my sister to come with me! Please give her punishment to me too!" Grisha says as he tries not to break his resolve in front of the man.

"Very well" the man says calmly.