22- The Other Side of the Wall

"Our enemy is the world?" Nile questions as he looks around at everyone, "but if we announce this to the public, the world will be thrown into chaos. We still haven't fully grasped the magnitude of this situation".

"Then will we deceive the people again?" Commander Pixis asks as he looks at Nile, "you wish to follow the lead of King Reiss and ensure the people of the walls stay domesticated and ignorant? If so, then by what ideals did we rise to take the crown from King Reiss?".

"Let's announce it" Historia says as she addresses everyone in the room, "after all, we're just returning the memories King Reiss stole back to the people a century later. We all share the same fate as people of the walls. We must unite as one and bring our entire strength together".

After the meeting, Levi, Hange and Evelyn all go to a meeting with some of the most well known journalists within the walls.

"The true identity of the titans who've threatened us are humans" Evelyn says as she looks at the two of them, "they have the same ancestry as us. We're the 'Subjects of Ymir'. Your King erected these walls one hundred years ago. He then altered your memories using titan powers and made you believe humanity was wiped out outside of the walls. But in fact, humanity hasn't perished. When speaking of 'Subjects of Ymir', they used to call us 'a race of devils'. In the near future, the enemy will invade our lands to obtain resources. Their plans began five years ago with the attack of the Colossal titan".

"I know the article's already published, but is this as credible as you make it sound?" one of the men asks as he looks at Evelyn.

"You want me to carve out my brain and show you? You want to go live how I did in Marley? No, you don't. You're going to believe what I said. Because myself, Eren and my Father's books are the only source you have" Evelyn says as she looks at the two men.

"Evelyn, calm down for a moment" Hange says as they glance over at Evelyn, "at the very least, it's consistent with the doubts we've had this whole time. I don't want to believe it either, but it's true. So, how are people reacting?".

"It's a bit of everything" the older reporter says as he looks down, "some accept it, some laugh it off. Some lash out at the military and insist it's a conspiracy theory. As all of you feared, it's become chaotic".

"Yeah, but there's no helping that" Hange says as they look down, "the reports are what put food in our mouths. The taxpayers decide what to make of it. There's one thing we're doing better than the old King".

"I couldn't be any prouder of you all" the older reporter says as he looks at the three of them, "not only as a person of the walls, but also as a fellow working man".

"Thank you" Hange says as they look away.

"Right... next time, whip up an article that pats us on the back" Levi says as he looks at the two of them.

"What will happen to all of us?" the older reporter asks as he looks down, "just as we've looked at titans with fear, with hate, and with the wish that they would disappear from the world, the people of the world see us not as humans, but as dangerous monsters. And as a result, what if this hell only repeats itself? Until the last of us are wiped out, this hell... won't end".

All of the military gathers in the main hall of Trost District as they all stand around talking to each other, preparing for the funeral.

"Hey, you heroes of the walls" Hitch says as she walks over to what's left of the Scout Regiment, "I just came to see you guys receive your medals".

"I see. Marlow was brave until the very end" Jean says as he looks at Hitch.

"Yeah" Hitch says as she looks down.