3- Old Story

--- a few days ago, in the cottage for the Levi and Evelyn squad ---

"I was born on a small farm in the Northern region of Wall Rose" Historia explains as she looks down, "it was a land owned by the noble family of Reiss".

--- Historia's backstory ---

As far as I can remember, I was always helping out up at the farm. But, my Mother was always reading books and not once did I see her doing housework. She was a beautiful woman. At night, someone would come for her in a wagon and she'd go off to the city wearing fancy clothes. For me, that was just life as I knew it. After I learned to read and write, I picked up a book in order to imitate my Mother. Only then did I truly learn how alone I was. In all the books, parents cared about their children. They talked, hugged and fought, or so the stories said. I had never experienced any of those things. One day, out of curiosity, I decided to try hugging my Mother. I just wanted to see what kind of face she'd make.

Historia spots her Mother sitting by the same tree she always does, a small smile plastered on her face as she plucks up the courage, running over to her Mother.

"Mother!" Historia exclaims happily as she jumps into her Mother's lap, only for her Mother to grab her by her face and throw her away like some piece of trash.

Historia lands on the ground nearby as she holds her face, her nose bleeding.

She ended up shoving me away, but that was the first thing my Mother ever did to me. That's why it made me so happy.

"If only I had the courage to kill the girl" her Mother says as she stands up, hugging her book to her chest, as she walks away from her daughter.

Those were the first words my Mother ever said to me. After that, she left the house and began living somewhere else. And then, five years ago, one night just days after Wall Maria fell, for the very first time, I met my Father.

"Nice to meet you, Historia" Rod says as he takes his hat off, "my name is Rod Reiss, and I am your Father".

That man. He was the Lord ruling the land I lived on. My Mother who I had seen in years, stood outside in the cold. She was visibly terrified by something.

"Historia. You'll be living with me now" Rod says as he kneels down to Historia.

Historia takes the hand Rod offers out to her as they walk outside, going down the steps of the house, out to the carriage parked out front, her Mother walking in front of the two of them. A man slowly approaches her Mother as she screams, her Mother frozen in fear, only for a moment before she stumbles backwards.

"This is a problem, Lord Reiss" Kenny says as he addresses Rod as he and another one of his men grab Historia's Mother, "let's avoid acting rashly now. Did the fall of Wall Maria make you a little scared?".

"Mother!" Historia shouts out to her Mother as she looks over at her.

"No! I am not that girl's Mother!" her Mother says as she struggles against Kenny's grip, "she has nothing to do with me! Oh? Is that true, Lord Reiss? Do you really have nothing to do with this woman or that child?".

"So be it" Rod says as he lets go of Historia's hand, "these two here have nothing to do with me".

"I thought that might be the case" Kenny says as he glares at Rod.

"What? What are you doing?" Historia's Mother asks as Kenny and his friend force her to the ground.

"You never existed. You never worked at the estate either. Nobody knows who you are" Kenny says as he pulls out a large curved knife and holds it down near her face.