Chapter Eight ~ Hyunjin

Hyunjin stretched, careful not to disturb Felix. He blinked a few times, getting used to the early morning sun that was coming through the gap in the curtain. Then he slowly rolled over to look at the alarm clock on the bedside table: 6:47am.

Good. He should have time to do what he needed to before Michael came back. The angel carefully rolled out of bed, then quickly got dressed and grabbed some money from the box in the drawer, putting it in his pocket.

Checking that Felix was still asleep, he quietly left the bedroom and slipped out of the apartment. Five minutes later, he was outside the little supermarket they went to every day. He could see the shopkeeper behind the register, busily arranging things on the counter.

The angel took a deep breath and entered the shop, his nerves suddenly tingling. He went straight to the display at the front of the shop, where there were plushies in various shapes and sizes.

Seeing the one he wanted, he smiled and took it off the display. It was a very cute-looking teddy bear with white angel wings attached to its back and a glittery golden halo suspended above its head. Hyunjin almost melted inside, just looking at it.

Felix didn’t know Hyunjin was an angel for real, of course, but he called him ‘my angel’ a lot, so Hyunjin thought this was the perfect gift. He’d seen it in the shop a while ago and had been thinking about buying it for Felix ever since.

Taking it to the counter, he got his money out, ready to pay.

“You’re here early!” the man said with a smile. “Where’s your friend today?”

“He’s still asleep,” Hyunjin replied. Motioning to the plushie, he continued, “This is a surprise for him.”

“Oh, special day, is it?” the man asked, winking at Hyunjin.

The angel was a bit taken aback at that. “Uh … well … I guess you could say that…”

Not wanting to get dragged into a conversation, he quickly handed the money to the man. Once he received his change, he smiled sadly at the man before turning to go.

As he started to walk away, though, the shopkeeper called out to him.

“Hey, is everything alright? You look a bit down today.”

Hyunjin stopped and turned briefly. “It will be. Some day.”

Then he walked away, leaving the man staring after him in confusion.

Checking the time on his watch, he walked quickly back to the apartment, hoping Michael hadn’t turned up yet. He wanted to spend a bit of time with Felix before he had to leave.

He entered the apartment a few minutes later, smiling to himself as he imagined Felix’s reaction to his gift. As he turned around after shutting the door, though, he stopped short, the blood draining from his face.

“Nooo…”

“Hello again. Ready to go?”

“No! Not yet … I haven’t said goodbye…!”

Hyunjin started towards the bedroom door, a look of panic on his face. But the archangel put out a hand and brought him to a halt.

“You can’t, Hyunjin. Not when I’m here, you know that. No mortal can see an angel and survive.”

“But … if he stays in the bedroom, he won’t…”

“And if he decides to see me for himself, or wants to try and stop me from taking you?” Michael shook his head. “Do you really want to risk it, Hyunjin?”

Hyunjin looked from Michael to the bedroom door and back again, a look of deep anguish on his angelic face.

Then he looked down at the teddy bear still clutched in his hands, staring at it for a long minute. “Can I at least write him a note?” he asked in a small voice.

Michael sighed. “Go on, then. But make it quick – your Father’s already unhappy that I gave you an extra 24 hours. I don’t want to incur His wrath any further.”

So Hyunjin found a piece of paper and a pen, and composed a short note to Felix. Then he moved towards the bedroom door once more. Michael raised a brow, and Hyunjin quickly assured him that he would just put the note and gift on the bed, and nothing else.

The archangel rolled his eyes but nodded. “Fine,” he said.

So Hyunjin slipped into the bedroom and lay the items on the bed, where he had been lying earlier. He gazed at Felix’s beautiful face longingly, wishing he could hold him one last time.

His hand moved to touch the freckled boy’s cheek, but a noise from outside the door made him stop a millimetre away. Sighing, he turned to leave with a heavy heart.

As he was stepping through the doorway, he stopped and turned back for a moment. A single tear rolled down his cheek as he whispered, “I love you, Felix.” Then he closed the door and returned to where Michael was waiting.

“Come on, let’s get you home,” the older said, patting Hyunjin on the shoulder. “By the way, I like your new outfit. It’s a pity you’ll have to ditch it once we get to Heaven, ‘cause I think it really suits you.”

Michael gave the younger angel a bright smile, but Hyunjin wasn’t paying attention. He was remembering what he’d written on his note to Felix. He'd been in a rush, so he’d just written the first thing that came to mind. It was only now that he realised exactly what that had been.

He'd told him the truth.

Ah well, too late now, he thought. But then, maybe it was a good thing. Maybe he should have told him a long time ago.

~♡~

Oooh, how's Felix going to react when he reads Hyunjin's note?? 😳 Maybe a vote will help him out...