Chapter Four ~ Hyunjin

A little while later, they were in the small supermarket near Felix’s apartment, picking up ingredients for dinner. Although, what they were doing at that moment was having fun. Felix was running full-pelt down one of the aisles, pushing the trolley in front of him, and Hyunjin was laughing uncontrollably.

The man behind the counter was looking at them disapprovingly, but Hyunjin didn’t care. Being rebellious gave him a thrill, reminding him of his ‘bad-boy’ stunts in Heaven. But that wasn’t the cause of his intense joy, he realised. It was being with Felix that made his heart thump and his pulse race, and laughter bubble up inside him. Being around Felix made him happy, like he’d never been before.

As Felix finally pushed the trolley towards the counter, the angel grabbed some snacks from a nearby stand and added them to the pile of food. They would want them later, when they were watching a movie.

Hyunjin loved the domestic nature of their relationship. They did everything together. Every morning, they ate a simple breakfast, sitting at the kitchen bench in their pyjamas. Then, once they’d both got dressed, they walked to the café together, chatting happily as they went.

Every day, the same street vendor gave them both a sweet pastry – “For my favourite ball of sunshine and his handsome friend”. Hyunjin had never tasted anything so good!

Soon after their pastries were finished, they would arrive at the café. Exchanging their jackets for stylish aprons with the angel pictures Hyunjin loved, they’d start serving customers – Felix behind the counter and Hyunjin at the coffee machine.

He did have other duties from time to time, but making drinks was something he seemed to have a knack for (his relationship with the coffee machine had greatly improved after that first disastrous day). The other staff were perfectly happy for him to do that, since no one could deny the popularity of his miniature artworks on every coffee and hot chocolate he made.

Hyunjin loved his job so much that the days seemed to fly past. Before he knew it, it would be home time, and the two boys would exchange their aprons for their jackets once more, and head out of the café together.

On the way home, they always stopped off at the supermarket to buy whatever they needed for dinner, plus some yummy snacks for later.

“Thanks, hyung,” Felix said to the shopkeeper, as he passed a bag to Hyunjin.

“See you tomorrow,” the man replied, an amused twinkle in his eye.

Once they got home, they left the shopping in the kitchen, and Felix went to get changed into more comfortable clothes. Hyunjin made them each a cup of coffee and sat down in the loungeroom to wait.

When Felix came back, he was wearing a pair of grey track-pants and a lilac-coloured, oversized hoodie. On the front of the hoodie was a picture of a cute kitten. Hyunjin thought he was absolutely adorable.

Gazing at the dark-haired boy, mesmerized, the angel found himself wanting to wrap his arms around him and snuggle into his warmth, nuzzling his nose into Felix’s neck. But obviously he couldn’t. That would be highly inappropriate, since they barely knew each other.

There was no harm in imagining, though…

“Thanks for the coffee, Hyunjinnie! Do you wanna go make dinner now, or do you wanna just sit for a while?”

Hyunjin’s brain took a few moments to start up – like an old machine that was needed again after years of gathering dust.

“I … y-yeah, sure, w-whatever you want, Felix…”

Felix chuckled and leaned forward to ruffle Hyunjin’s hair.

“Sounds like you need that coffee before you do anything else! I’ll go get started on dinner; you relax for a bit and join me when you’re ready.”

With a smile, Felix took his coffee into the kitchen, leaving Hyunjin staring after him, a bright blush colouring his cheeks.

Get a grip, Hyunjin! You’ve got to control yourself!

The angel sat and drank his coffee, willing his cheeks to cool down and his heart to stop racing. After a few minutes, he felt a lot calmer, and he decided it was safe to venture into the kitchen without embarrassing himself further.

So he joined Felix, and they made the rest of the dinner together, singing along to Felix’s playlist of Twice songs as they worked. Hyunjin knew them all by heart now, since Felix played them every day.

Once the dinner was ready, they sat down at the table to eat.

“Mmm, this is amazing, Lix!” Hyunjin moaned after his first bite.

Felix laughed. “You helped make it, remember? And as far as I can recall, food never tasted this good before you came along!”

The freckled boy gazed at Hyunjin for a minute, a soft smile on his face. Feeling a blush rise up his cheeks, the angel looked down, suddenly finding his food very interesting.

“My angel…” Felix murmured.

Hyunjin snapped his head up again, shock flashing across his face for an instant. But then he remembered that Felix had said that multiple times in the past week.

“I knew as soon as I saw you that you must be an angel come down from Heaven. There I was, on my way to work, when I heard a thunderclap out of nowhere. Next minute, I found you down an alleyway, all dirty and scared, but with this glowing aura around you. I just feel so lucky that I was there, right when you needed me.”

Hyunjin shook his head. “No, Felix, I’m an ordinary person, just like you. But I am very glad you were there to help me.”

He met Felix’s gaze with a shy smile. “And I’m glad it was you, not someone else.”

“Me too,” Felix replied softly.

Later in the evening, when the dishes were done, and there was nothing left to do but relax, the two boys settled down in front of the TV. As Felix was setting up a movie, Hyunjin thought about his angel story.

He knew Felix didn’t really believe he was an angel – that was just a tale he’d come up with to explain a mystery. But Hyunjin wondered how Felix would react if he found out it was actually true…

It saddened the angel to think that one day he’d have to leave his new life and return to Heaven. A sense of panic started building in the pit of his stomach; but before it could take hold, he pushed it aside.

As the movie started playing, he glanced at the beautiful boy beside him and made a decision. Leaning his head on Felix’s shoulder, he prayed to his Father and all the archangels that he wasn’t about to ruin everything (not that anyone would be listening, he thought bitterly).

A few agonising seconds later, a smile slowly spread across his face, as Felix leaned his head down too. Maybe someone was listening after all…

~♡~

Hmm, I wonder where this is leading... 😏 Click the vote button below to find out!