29 - What If I Fly?

The day came too soon.

Since Toya had told you of his final exam, the whispers of worry had grown into screams. Still, some part of you had secretly hoped it would never come. Time would stop, and you could remain stagnant between life's breaths. A space carved out especially for you and Toya, hidden from everything but each other. He would hold you to his chest and tell you stories about the Outside, and you would listen, content in your roles: a prince and his princess.

But your childish fantasies had to come to an end at some point. Now, you stared them right in the face. Toya's eyes were quiet and subdued in the bright overhead LEDs. He had stayed the previous night in your room, the two of you huddled against each other like it was the last time. The entire night you hoped it wouldn't be. 

No one had stopped him from staying, so he'd tucked you between himself and the wall and talked to you until you drifted asleep. At some point in the night, you had stirred awake. Toya, not noticing, gazed at the ceiling, wide awake. His elephant charm danced through his fingers with a restless familiarity, the expression on his face too complicated to understand.

That morning, a man in a white coat led you and Toya down the brightly lit halls until you couldn't remember which way you'd come. He refused to let go of your hand, his grip almost too tight. You'd wished he'd held tighter.

Eventually, the man stopped before a broad set of double doors. The door's surface was sleek, white metal with running lines of lights across the edges. A word popped into your mind, recognizable but alien all at once: spaceship. Frosted glass surrounded the doors, and you caught a glimpse of the vast and bright chamber on the other side. White Coats (as Toya referred to them) had told you that when you were ready, you would step into the demonstration room and show everyone how talented you were.

"You alright, Princess?" Toya asked, sweeping an unbrushed section of hair behind your ear.

You blinked, then nodded.

His hair was entirely white now, blending in with the walls around him. No matter how long ago it was, flashes of the red slipped in every so often. Memories of the first few times he'd stopped by your room, bringing with him the smell of roses and that lopsided grin. At least both of those had stayed.

"You look a little nervous." He laughed, the ends a little too sharp for it to be genuine. Toya wore his nerves on his sleeve. The bags under his eyes were so dark they were nearly black. His skin was like bone, cheeks pale and hollow. However, his eyes shone like a pair of diamonds, bright against the darkness of his face.

"Do you have to do it?"

He sighed. "What did we talk about?"

Your eyes drifted to the floor, mumbling out something.

"Hm?" Toya leaned in like he hadn't heard.

"You're going to show everyone that you're a hero."

"Exactly." He grinned. Lopsided grin. Stands of ivory hair fell onto his face. "I'm going to show everyone that I'm a hero."

You're already a hero, Toya, you wanted to say. In every way that mattered. You kept your mouth shut.

The White Coat cleared his throat behind you, pointing to his wristwatch. When you looked back, you were sure the newfound slivers of panic in Toya's face also ran along yours.

"I guess it's time." His smile was tight and forced.

Your heart raced like a jackrabbit, violent and desperate. You lunged forward suddenly, throwing your arms around his neck with such ferocity that Toya staggered a step back. After he passed his final exam, you didn't know if he would ever come back. You didn't know if you would ever see him again. His hand rubbed up and down your back.