13 - Explosion

Despite Hawks working so closely with Endeavor, you'd only been to the Number Two Hero's agency a few times.

You could count the times Hawks had taken you on 'work adventures' on one hand since starting to live with him, but today was an odd exception.

Per the request of the HPSC, he was not allowed to let you wander too far until you were fully healed and sated back into 'full working capacity', whatever that meant.

The symptoms of your concussion had faded, and you were even able to spar with Hawks since the USJ attack.

Still, you just nodded and listened to the grainy holographic projection of The Lady appear in your room as she explained the guidelines for the next week.

Endeavor's agency was big, overbearing, and too in the face for someone who had a normal sized ego. Long, steel gray corridors ran around the building like an ant maze, the harsh fluorescence of overhead lights cast an unnatural shadow across everything in sight.

It almost reminded you of the HPSC building, too big for its own good; however, you appreciated all the glittering windows installed on either side of the walkways.

It made the agency feel open and breathable.

You still had yet to see anyone. The evening was waning, and Hawks' meetings with Endeavor always ran late.

You were cursing yourself for not bringing a book or something to keep your fingers and mind occupied while the two talked in the huge office filled with burgundy and dust.

Of course there was the option of listening in, focusing on the sounds of their voices resonating through the room, but as cocky as he was, Hawks could sniff out any use of your quirk like a bloodhound.

After one of the last times he'd been in a meeting, he reminded you to use your quirk for better things in the future. You didn't remind him that he would eavesdrop too if in your position; it was one of the first things you learned in training.

However, when you realized most of their conversations were unnecessary boasting and only marginal scraps of hero work, you stopped listening anyway.

Now you strolled up and down the long halls, watching the odd shadows from the lights and feeling a persistent sense of displacement. Perhaps there was a training room you could sneak into, get some late night practice in.

School was still canceled and you needed to prepare for the annual sports festival. The days were closing in until you'd have to share the arena with other students attending UA in a battle for a gold medal and bragging rights.

It sounded like a dream.

You were just hoping it would pass quickly and with no seams to trip over. The HPSC would be there; that's who you were doing it for.

As long as they were happy, you would be too.

One of the signs outside a door read 'Private Training Room'. No sound came from in the room, the presence of a human missing across the threshold.

There were no people anywhere.

Everyone had probably long since gone home, thankful to have survived another day with their dreadful boss. Hawks said the building was yours to explore, and after an uncomfortable and expectant pause, Endeavor begrudgingly agreed on the premise that you were not to disrupt anything beyond repair.

He really did see you like the same child he'd met a couple of years ago. The only thing that had really changed was your mouth getting a little bigger (living with Hawks taught you something at least).