5 - Slip-ups

You weren't sure how much the poor punching bag could take.

The fabric wrappings covering your knuckles were doing little to protect the bones, and they seemed to get looser with every punch. No matter how many times you hit it, Todoroki's face wouldn't disappear in the folds of hard material.

His cool stare watched as you tried to wipe his expression from your mind, and failed over and over.

What was his deal anyways?

You ducked, thinking of your fight with Hagakure. Why hadn't she gotten closer to you? It didn't do her good staying so far away, and if she'd stepped into your circle she could've had a better chance at success.

You felt the punch through your entire arm, a symphony of muscle and bone against sand and fabric. Why was Todoroki so curious? There wasn't much he could obtain knowing your quirk, so why go through all that work?

"Good job," you said, looking across at the other two in your team when you finally met up with them again.

Shouji nodded. If the lack of cuts or bruises on his skin was any indication, it seemed like the two of them had just an easy fight as you had.

You were going to take Hagakure to the Recovery Girl, the nurse of UA, just in case. She'd said she was fine, but it was protocol, and you weren't sure you wanted to see so many other people at that moment. Better to let the fight calm amongst your classmates before you were thrown into the shark tank.

Todoroki just looked at you, the corners of his lips turned down with the trace of... annoyance? Why Todoroki was so bothered remained a mystery, a storm cloud had sprouted above his head, raining down to water the red and white of his hair. Maybe he really had wanted to fight Hagakure.

What you couldn't see was his frustration.

Todoroki couldn't figure out what you'd done after he and Shouji left, other than apparently giving Hagakure a good knock up. How had you fought?

The snow, he had to admit, was a smart idea in retrospect. It was only after he sent the small puff of shaved ice falling down in the hallway did he realize what you were planning.

There were no signs of injury on your body–no signs of anything except a faint flush on your nose and cheeks from the frosty air you'd just come from.

How had you known Hagakure was there?

He'd been closer and yet he hadn't figured out what captured your attention until the sound of your kick brought a complaint from Hagakure's mouth.

Todoroki still remembered your shift while looking over his shoulder; the way your eyes widened, head tilted to the side like an animal of hunt.

The few moments he did see you fighting, something about the way your body moved felt increasingly off to him. You were too comfortable in the movements, your body was almost a little too loose. Like a marionette doll just going through the motions, there was no life to your body.

You hadn't really been trying, you didn't truly care.

"Hey," your voice pulled Todoroki from his stupor, giving him a look as he finally glanced at you. "Good job, we really worked as a team."

You were being sarcastic again. He didn't notice.

"I'm glad you managed to beat Hagakure, Shouji and I had little trouble securing the weapon."

Puffing your lips into a line, you nodded. It was hard to imagine Todoroki ever genuinely smiling. If you ever actually ended up seeing it, you'd probably grab the closest jacket because it would be a frigid day in Hell.